Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something's burning!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by AUTO-FX, Mar 18, 2011.

1. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    I can smell hot plastic and I cant tell where the heck it's coming from!!! And the more I sniff, the harder it is to smell!!!
    Dont see any magic blue smoke...Hmmmm
    This very unnerving! Everything was backed up yesterday, so I'll be okay there...
    I have 2 computers, monitors,speaker system,desktop printer, big plotter, little plotter, falcon JR, could be any of these...
    Unplug everything and start off one by one???

How about I unplug everything, leave the house, and come back later to see if the fire department is here?

Tags:
  2. laserman70

laserman70 Very Active Member

Dec 25, 2007
    usa
    shut it all down, go 1 by 1. good luck hope it just your neighbor burning something outside.

3. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    Found it!
    It was the fan in the computer tower. I took the side panel off and it was seized up. That may explain why my computer was off when i walked in this morning, maybe. Will a PC shut itself down if too much heat builds up inside the case?

Off to Radio shack!

4. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I know that ours will shut down if the processor begins to overheat.

5. Firefox

Firefox Active Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I had a PT Cruiser that started smelling like faint melting plastic around 10,000 miles. It drove me crazy for another 195,000 miles so I sold it!

6. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Put 3 shrimp in there so it's not so hard to detect next time.

7. VinylLabs.com

VinylLabs.com Member

Mar 2, 2005
    saw a video a couple of days ago where someone submerged their computer in a container of oil, then overclocked it heavily.

then dumped a bunch of fries and tater-tots in it, fried them up and ate it.

edit: it could have been easily faked, but just the concept was funny.

8. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

or you could stay and just have a marshmallow on a stick, ready to make the best of a bad situation.

9. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    and after you fix the fan you can install a fan monitor that will give you and audible alarm, or even an smtp email when a fan fails.

The computer will definitely shut down if it over heats. And... you may damage other components. Sometimes they never seem quite the same. Stuttering, random lockups, blue screens, etc... keep an eye on it.

10. mrfern

mrfern Member

Dec 29, 2010
    A computer will shut itself down if the PC knows there is no fan working on the mother board or the power supply. Also if a video card fan goes out the pc can burn on the video card and still work since the fan just cools the card. The smell of the burnt video card is a tough one to find but if the PC shuts down for no reason it is generally a fan. Cracks me up that a 10 dollar fix can cause so much grief.

mrfern:notworthy:

11. showcase 66

showcase 66 Very Active Member

Sep 23, 2010
    +1

Happened to my computer I use just for cutting about 2 months ago. Replaced the fan and yesterday had the same smell you were describing. Had to run to do a job, forgot about it and today said computer not to happy with me. It has been trying to start up since 0630 this morning. Getting ready to head off to Staples to pick up another computer.

12. mrfern

mrfern Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Depending which fan it is you can use a house hold fan and open the case and point the fan into the pc. Not only will it clear the dust bunnies away but if the thermal sensor is no longer registering hot then the pc will work. Been there.. done that..

mrfern:notworthy:

13. AUTO-FX

Feb 14, 2010
    Ok, thanks guys for all the great info.I'll keep an eye on her.
    I upgraded to a 120mm fan moving twice the air per minute.
    Rather breezy.
    Have to go find a sweater now.