• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SOOOOO Lost!

babeinthegame

Hi from Bacliff, Texas! Well, I'm having a very difficult time getting started. I am learning some hard lessons on the way to figuring out how to make signs. I'm not a pc wizard, but I can comprehend if given good instructions and I am awesome hands on and with visual aid. #1: I got the seiki plotter and cannot figure out how to get this thing going. #2: Because the flexi starter software has limited features and I cannot afford an upgrade right now, I just invested in a WinPc Sign package. I hope this was a good move. Feedback?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not sure what WinPC will do for you that Flexi Starter won't do. Both are just bridge programs from your design program to your plotter. Maybe you should look into a copy of CorelDRAW instead of WinPC.

:Welcome: to :signs101:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
if you don't have the money right now, you can also download inkscape (open source program) and design in there...it's not bad software....not the greatest, but it's pretty easy to learn....

also, keep an eye out on ebay for copies of corel or adobe....you can sometimes get old versions pretty cheap

babeinthegame

I have Corel Draw (my father-in-law owns an awards and trophy business and I got it from him) but a gentleman who made some magnetic signs for my car stated that flexi8 was more user friendly than Corel, so once I received my plotter (which came with the flexistarter software), I began toying with it. Then, I saw that the flexistarter software had limited features, so I got discouraged and began searching for a different software compatible with my plotter. What is your opinion? I am creative and enjoyed doing these things as a team mom and thought I'd try to start my own business. I need a software that is user friendly but can still give me a quality product. Whatcha think? I cant afford the upgrade on the Flexi8 right now, so it's either the Corel or the WinPc...

babeinthegame

So Corel, Flexi8Starter, WinPC....which is more user friendly? Not TOO concerned with high functioning software since I am new at designing. I'm sure it will take a while to get good at whatever I am using. I just feel I need to get cracking as quick as possible since school and fall sports is kicking in.

OldPaint

to be honest here, YOU really need to just fess up and understand that it isnt the program your working with............BUT YOU who dont know how to make it work)))))
bottom line, no program is gona make YOU a sign designer. COREL DRAW, FLEXI, WIN PC, are just tools. all are "user friendly"............IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THEM)))))))
sorta like you going out and buying a full mechanics tool box from MAC/SNAP-ON/CORNWELL..............and never in your life have you worked as a mechanic.
my advice to you, is pick a program, iam partial to COREL, as i have been using it for over 15 years, AND I STILL DONT KNOW ALL IT CAN DO!!!!!!!!!
you will need to learn it on your own, and you will need to READ ALL THE HELP FILES ...for that program you choose.................OR...........pay someone who is well versed in the program you choose...........TO TEACH YOU.
no short cuts for these..........are available.

thesignguy1986

Flexi Starter is a basic program and it has much less to offer then WinPC Sign Pro 2010. If you buy the basic version its the same thing but if you bought the pro version for the price it will work great for cutting vinyl. It also has a vectorize portion which is a plus. I currently run Flexi but am not ashamed to admit I orginally ran WinPc and it worked great. So you should be good but SAVE SAVE SAVE and then go get yourself Flexi you will love it

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So Corel, Flexi8Starter, WinPC....which is more user friendly? Not TOO concerned with high functioning software since I am new at designing. I'm sure it will take a while to get good at whatever I am using. I just feel I need to get cracking as quick as possible since school and fall sports is kicking in.

The problem is that you will be ready and have the need to do intermediate level things like outlining, shadowing etc. quicker than you think. Check the editing features of each of your options before you buy.

davidcarr87

i have flexisign, illustrator and photoshop..
flexisign is cool..but i like illustrator better...i have tought myself everything i know bout these programs from doing many many hours of research and watching youtube videos...try it out..
but hey...welcome!! :p
im new myself..

babeinthegame

OLD PAINT...I DID fess up...lol.... I knew once I started playing around with the software that it would take more effort than I anticipated...which is why I reached out for guidance and advice (please don't make me regret it :banghead:)
I also know that we dont have just 1 way of learning.... Some people are readers and some learn better better by doing (repetition and reinforcement) I have watched several Corel tutorials and was able to learn alot. I only questioned Flexi8starter because it came with my plotter, but was missing the features being used in the tutorials. I want to work smarter not neccesarily harder. I am a visual learner and have been taking advantage of the tutorials, so I look forward to receiving the winpc in a few days to start playing around with it. I guess I am just a few years behind everyone, but I look at it this way...in several years, there will be somebody out there just like me who is just now starting. Everybody had to start somewhere...right? :Big Laugh

Malkin

Sounds like you have the right attitude... that being the willingness to do the work required to learn.

Here are some basic areas you'll need to know:

-Become familiar with you're design program and how to output correctly to your plotter.

-Develop an eye for creating simple, effective designs. Doesn't need to be fancy, but Arial bold stretched to the edges of your board does not reflect well on your client, or you.

-Be able to suggest and use appropriate materials for the customers needs, not just the cheapest possible thing.

-Learn how to effectively manage your business.