Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sophisticated SPAM phishing!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Texas_Signmaker, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    This morning I got an e-mail from a sign company that we did business for in the past. They sent me a drop box link with a PDF for a bid. I was suspicious as to why it wasn't just attached to the e-mail so I called them. I couldn't get a hold of the lady (who is a real person) and went to e-mail her directly (not replying to the original e-mail) . "She" responded with "the file is large, kindly view though drop box". The e-mail had their logo and contact info and looked 100% legit. I proceeded to click it but Google warned me about a suspicious site and I didn't go any further. I e-mailed her back a screenshot and didn't get a reply. A few minutes ago she sent an e-mail saying she was hacked and not to open anything and acknowledged the hacker even sent replies.

Just wanted to warn you all that they are getting more clever now!

Tags:
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Believe it or not, had something similar to that just recently from a known customer, but they had no idea it was being done. It's everywhere.

3. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    The word "kindly" is enough to know it's a scam. When they learn how to speak the same dialect as the person they are trying to ripoff, then they will have become more clever.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  4. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Yea that should of been a tip off too but I was distracted by Gino's gay pride parade sign talk this morning.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  5. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    well that would explain the texas plates on the pink chevette he was riding in

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  6. OhioSigns

OhioSigns Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Greenville, Ohio
    Just received one last night from a customer. It was an encrypted zip file that supposedly contained a word document. I called him right away and he said he had a trojan horse and not to open it.

7. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    Meanwhile my inbox is full of SEO and website related marketing spam :(

8. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Yea, and they are getting ballsy on there. They follow up with "why haven't you responded yet?"

9. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    I noticed a lot of them say "reply with NO for us to remove you from our list" at the end of the email.
    Very tempting, but... it also triggers me to think, if i reply, they know im active and will keep emailing me.
    Although my friend actually replied "no" to a bunch and they stopped all the emails. :help

10. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    I keep getting similar from this phishing site:
    LinkedIn.com
    All kinds of stuff from people I don't know.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    haha well then login to accept your endorsements and see who's looking at your profile. Strange site.

12. IsItFasst

IsItFasst Member

Jan 16, 2008
    USA
    Got two of these from two different customers within about 48 hours a week or so ago.

13. netsol

netsol Very Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj

linkedin is a "legitimate" site (pesky, but legit)
    but the seem to grab a list of contacts, and probably grab cc's from emails in your inbox

14. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing