• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sorry about storming in

mtmdesigns

Ok so 8 years ago i was playing baseball for college left early traveled around getting my 88 mph fastball knocked out of every independent league in the country, then while i was driving home back to california i had no skills in anything but baseball. So I come home and find myself trying to start up a sunglass company with a partner of mine Lush Eyegear, we had a blast until all our money ran out, so from there i came across a guy that did signs graphics etc. He had a small 3 man shop and i pushed the broom around knowing nothing about signs. So 6 years later I'm here still working for the man trying to get out(35 employees now). I bought a plotter 3 years ago thinking i was going to run my own biz before quickly finding out how hard it really is. Wondering if I will ever make it happen. So today my boss tells me he can't give me a raise, after promising me several times. So here i stand with a couple accounts and a big f... you to the boss..

Anyone selling a multicam?:signs101:

Derf

Self employment is one of the hardest ways to "Make It" But worth it some times.

I have been self employed for 10 years and was an employee (slave) for 3 years for a fortune 300 company. My job was soooooo easy but the BS was soooo thick.

I would recomend you read a book: Robert Kiyosaki, "Cash Flow Quadrant"

Cadmn

Most tell me heck you own your own business you can go fishing anytime you want buy what you want what a life. My answer to them yea it is great I can choose which 23 hours of the day I work. what lunchmeat I have for lunch & I choose if I want to go bankrupt & loose everything or get a secon=d Job to hold on to everything because as owner there are No guarenteed checks on friday after 40 hours fact is 40 hours is normally unseen. Newbies come in with the well Idid everything & the boss got rich after some time they hopefully(not too Late ) that the boss was doing waay more than gettin rich. Designs by MTM thanks for your uncandid truthfulness your words might have helped one to wake up in time

Derf

You notice how I said "Self Employed" and not a business owner!

That means I still work my ass off and some times don't get paid while my employees always get a check. (Some times I do get paid a BIG check but it's gone just as quick) one day I will be a business owner and I will not have to do any work so to speak and my company will continue to provide me with income. So if your boss can't give you a raise it's because he can't afford to or your not worth it! either way your not getting a raise even if you go into business it will be some time before you see a return on your investment.

Good Luck!

mtmdesigns

I will Gaurantee he comes up with some money... Not to many guys out there who can run a cnc like a plotter.

MAB SIGNS

If you're talented with a multicam I bet other shops might have interest in you, maybe even at the dollar amount you feel worthy. Ask the sign supply rep who may need a router operator he usually has the low down. He's like the bartender, everyone shares a heartache or two during conversation.

mtmdesigns

MAB SIGNS said:
If you're talented with a multicam I bet other shops might have interest in you, maybe even at the dollar amount you feel worthy. Ask the sign supply rep who may need a router operator he usually has the low down. He's like the bartender, everyone shares a heartache or two during conversation.

thanks for the look multicam has already tried to hire me i just think i'm gonna go for it myself this time and see what happens...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I would say, most of the guys who teach you the business will never pay you what you are probably worth, 6 years is an eternity at your first sign job. In your first job 2 things can happen, the boss does not notice the progression of your abilities or you may have gotten bored working there......I usually attributed my problem to boredom, though I usually come to that realization after I left the job. In my first 6 years back in the sign business I went from near minimum wage to over 50k a year by bouncing around till I found the right fit. I would still be working for someone if I didn't have to leave the job...though probably for someone else....I think with the stuff you know, you might try another shop or 2 to see how they do things and have a more well rounded experience and who knows, you may find a better situation than being self employed.

Designsbymtm,

I see no point in telling you that being self-employed is not that easy, you already indicate that you know that. Working for yourself has its pros and cons just like anything else. You have shown that you have quite a bit of experience, so we cannot call you an "uninformed newbie".

Here is what I want to say.......

Before you get angry, and make that leap (how many of us end up doing it), make sure of the following:

1. Some kind of account(s) to generate some cash flow - maybe even approach all the shops in your area that do not have any routing ability
2. Preferrably, a line of credit - strictly for the business
3. Setup some charge accounts with suppliers (30 days)
4. Someone (accountant) to setup your books, in Quickbooks
5. Someone to handle your books (monthly, quarterly and yearly) - and PLEASE do not say the wife or girlfriend
6. Some type of advertising medium (flyers, net, etc.)
7. An easy to find location (not necessarily on the main drag)
8. Enough cash to carry you (at home) for about three to six months (a common cause of failure)

There are many more things but these are things that immediately come to mind, and there is no specific order. I am assuming that you already have some in place, as you have thought about this for a few years already.

Above all - remember that the even though you will own the company - you still are an employee - and the boss will probably be the most demanding "jerk" you have ever known! :Big Laugh :Big Laugh :Big Laugh

Derf

One thing you can do now and before you go on you own is work at as many shops as you can to pick up business contacts, suppliers, tips and tricks, new trades. I wish I had done that before I went into business because the first shop I worked at was mine!

Mrs. Uneedasign

These guys know what they are talking about,and not trying to discourage you. Everyone of the items mentioned by Pro Signs is dead on. If you are married with a family the stress can be overwhelming when the cash runs out,or you big jobs don't pay on time. My husband worked another job [well paying job] and started our sign business at the same time so we had enough to live on ect. He also had lots of contacts and was well known for his customer service. It has been a long hard struggle but we are going strong. Calif. is very expensive to live as you know. If you have money and the smarts and it sounds like a good niche you will make it. Planning is the key. I wish you luck.