• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-300 - adjusting height of heads for banner material?

Sherry2006

This is my first go at printing on pre-grommeted banner material. I find it very difficult because while its printing the heads rub on the edges where the grommets are placed, leaving streaks and blotches throughout the image. Is there a way to raise the height of the heads?
also, the machine will only feed the material through until it enocounters a grommet, then it seems to recognize it as the end of the material and stops feeding. so iv'e taped over the grommets and it seems to go through fine. Any way to correct this without tape? lol. as I said, it's my first time with banner material and any help is appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

lbumbaca

First AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH STOP when the the head hits THATS BAAAAAD head will not take too many hits before you will need a new one. Their is a way to lift the head small leaver above the knife looks like a tab on a 540 sp

Tony McD

Hi Sherry,

I don't beleive there is any head height adjustment on the sp300.

I would stop using this material until you figure out the solution.
Head strikes are bad, and the heads are expensive.

Sounds like the printer may be stopping when the rollers hit a grommet?
If so, you may need to have the pinch rollers inside or outside of the grommets,
so they're just riding on the banner material.

Also, are you using the long clamps? Using them may keep the head from hitting, just
make sure you don't use the sheet cut with them installed.

Sherry2006

yea as soon as i noticed it hitting I stopped and havent used it since. This material is "ready to print pre-grommeted digital print banner material". It was recommended by my supplier, obviously the person i was speaking with is not as educated on the sp300 as i assumed. I will not continue to print with this if I cant adjust the head or solve the issue. I currently dont have any longer clamps; something i should purchase soon.

wes70

I believe the only sp540 printer that has the head height adjust... among the Roland sp series. I may be wrong, though.

RUN!!! SAVE YOURSELF!!! DO NOT USE THAT PRE-GROMMETTED BANNER MATERIAL!!! Heads are $895 each!!! ...which would buy a LOT of banner material.
The SP540V is the only SP series with low/high head height.

Just Me

i also bought and tried some of this with the same results on my sp-300. I ended up just printing on vinyl and laying it on the banner material to finish up the roll, after one head strike it wasn't worth it to me.

Sherry2006

alright the verdict is in; I checked out www.ready2print.ca, (which is the manufacturer of the material) and the only printers NOT recommended to use this material is the VP300 and SP300. Lucky me, lol. I'm going to take Outlaw Graphics tip and just print it on vinyl then apply it to the banner. thanks to everyone for your help and hopefully anyone with the VP300 or SP300 won't make the same mistake I did.

Gene@mpls

yea as soon as i noticed it hitting I stopped and havent used it since. This material is "ready to print pre-grommeted digital print banner material". It was recommended by my supplier, obviously the person i was speaking with is not as educated on the sp300 as i assumed. I will not continue to print with this if I cant adjust the head or solve the issue. I currently dont have any longer clamps; something i should purchase soon.

If your supplier recommended it they should take it back.