• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-300 cross contamination problem

Jim Hill

I have a SP-300 and I am trying to figure out what makes the magenta color back flow into the yellow damper?

This is a two headed printer.

I just installed a new yellow damper and I pulled the ink from the bottom of the damper and it worked fine.

This morning the yellow damper is once again full of magenta color.

Any idea what might be creating this problem?

Could this be a cap top problem that is causing the cross contamination?

Thanks Jim

rjssigns

I've only had that issue with 3rd party inks. The low ink tab wouldn't pop out on one cartridge(draining it completely) then back siphon ink from its full neighbor. Another reason I don't use 3rd party anymore.

Jim Hill

Inks

I have never used third party inks ever!!!!!

The printer has only used original Roland eco-sol max inks since the day it was new.

I just replaced the magenta and yellow cap top and once again the yellow damper thinking that maybe a drain line was blocked.

Because on a two headed printer a small amount of air should enter the capping station and if this does not happen a siphon action can happen and ink will flow from an ink cartridge with a higher level of ink to a cartridge with a lower level of ink.

Thanks Jim

FrankW

This problem happens when for example the yellow ink cartridge is empty. This often happens with third party ink cartridges because on this reconstructed Cartridges the empty-ink-indicator won't work reliable very often.

It's mostly a problem when the power needed to suck the ink when cleaning is very different between both ink lines. This could happen too when the damper have a problem (e. g. with the filter) or something with the tubes.

Jim Hill

Problem solved

The problem with the magenta back flowing into the yellow damper was caused by a blocked drain line.

Once I replaced the cap top and the hose that connects to the pump along with a new damper for the yellow everything once again is working fine.

I have a few different syringes I use to draw ink from the bottom of the damper and also from the drain line under the capping station and I was wondering if anyone makes a kit that includes syringes and hoses that you can purchase instead of making up all these different connections yourself which takes time and a few trips to the hardware store trying to find the right hose sizes and larger syringes?

Thank Jim