• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-300 Grinding Noise

stillhasdust

I hear a grinding noise on the rail that my carriage rides on. When it prints it is not that loud but when it is only cutting or sheet cutting the sound is very loud. It sounds like grinding metal. I have placed a new scan motor on the machine and also put 3 in 1 oil on the rail. do you have any other suggestions??

the signman

sp300

Hi i have the same machine and i can say 100% its the carriage bearings,, roland want around 1200£ to replace thes as they come as a unit,,,3 carriages plus the rail aswell,,, i only needed 2 so i went where roland buy them from, just go on the net and look for thk bearings in your area,, these linear bearings only last about 3 years good luck:banghead:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I used the 3-in-1 & rolled the carriage back & forth manually many times (left-right-left-right) and the sound quieted down. Probably still needs new bearings in the future, but killed the sound & fixed the errors.

Ragnabrok

+1 to the 3-in-1 back and forth rolling. Crud tends to build up over the years inside of the bearing blocks, and the 3 in 1 can loosen it. rolling over a pool of oil dripped into the groove on the top of the rail will extract said crud.

Drip, roll, wipe off crud and repeat, should lessen the grind. Bearings should last WAY longer than 3 years, i have machines as old as 9 years in my area, which are daily use work horses running on factory bearings. dont give up!

the signman

grinding

trust me its the bearings,, oiling too much might quiten them down short term but will also wash out the special grease inside the bearings and damage the felt pad on the end caps put on by the factory bearing makers thk,, its called linear technology ,,phone and ask them! back and forward will totally wreck them when they are dry and the bearing holder silicone strips have disintergrated ,,,when you do this you will feel some sort of resistance on the rail,,,a classic sign!!!

GSGservice

We have sold over 1,000 Roland printers I head up the service department so I really know what I am talking about, the bearings should last longer than 3 years we have replaced less than 4 in over 10 years.

Jack Knight1979

Hate to bring up and old thread, but I like to keep service current on the Roland machines.

I run a 745ex. The machine is five years old.
Both the top bearing rails on the bearing blocks blew out yesterday. I was on the horn with Roland all day trying to secure a new carriage assembly.

It looked like Roland was going to have to order direct from Japan, but as luck would have it they where able to negotiate a set for me here in the states.

Saved my butt.

So my bearings lasted five years. I was speaking to a head tech @ Roland Corp and he verified the 3-1 oil. Lube the rails every three months or so. Remove debris, etc.

garzonstudio

I have this same printer, it end up been the scan motor, the printer got stocked, we thought was the carriage , but once we loose the srew from the wire we figure was the motor.
We opened the motor and one of the bearing was broken, we replaced the bearing for not more than $10.00 each and save about $700 buying a brand new one, I have pictures of the process if anybody is interested.

the harder was to find the right bearing 1/2x3/16x1/8 we found one similar a granger.com http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/mi.../ecatalog/N-ap2Z1z0d2jfZ1z0d2jdZ1z0d2jh?xi=xi

be very car full with the rotor encoding and the treat of the top gold gear.

Apologize my poor technical description.

Will give feedback of this repair soon.

Jack Knight1979

That's it. I just rebuilt my bearings with Roland parts. 1300 bucks. Thk bearings 300 bucks. Wish I new about Thk before I bought the Roland parts with Thk engraved in them.

Hi i have the same machine and i can say 100% its the carriage bearings,, roland want around 1200£ to replace thes as they come as a unit,,,3 carriages plus the rail aswell,,, i only needed 2 so i went where roland buy them from, just go on the net and look for thk bearings in your area,, these linear bearings only last about 3 years good luck:banghead:

garzonstudio

I have this same printer, it end up been the scan motor, the printer got stocked, we thought was the carriage , but once we loose the srew from the wire we figure was the motor.
We opened the motor and one of the bearing was broken, we replaced the bearing for not more than $10.00 each and save about $700 buying a brand new one, I have pictures of the process if anybody is interested.

the harder was to find the right bearing 1/2x3/16x1/8 we found one similar a granger.com http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/mi.../ecatalog/N-ap2Z1z0d2jfZ1z0d2jdZ1z0d2jh?xi=xi

be very car full with the rotor encoding and the treat of the top gold gear.

Apologize my poor technical description.

Will give feedback of this repair soon.

I really make a little change on the repair, it worked fine ,but I improve it, then I dissemble the original bearing, housing was broken. I used cage from the new bearing since the size of bearing is hard to get because the size, Then I change position of the 2 bearings on the scan motor (good one on top-repaired on the bottom).
it worked out perfect and is been working since, not problem at all, this fix cost me $30.00. instead of the $300 and some more. easier to repair a little part than just change the whole component.