• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sp-300 not measuring sheet width.URGENT help needed!

cnyc

Hello everyone.
I have a rather big problem with my Sp-300 and i say big because it came up in the most unwanted moment.
It started several days ago when i noticed that it wouldn't measure the sheet width every time i set it up.The thing is that i start the plotter,it heats up,it cleans properly and when it tries to measure the sheet's width it goes all the way to the left and when it returns it makes a 1(one) second stop just in front of the right pinch-roller and goes back to it's original position stating: Width 0 mm.
When the problem first occured i could fix it by trying 2-3 times to setup the sheet again but now it just won't measure anymore and as a result i can't print anything.
Today i changed the Cable Card with a new one(OEM also) because a guy from Roland told me that might be the cause.It wasn't and the problem persists.
Does anybody have a clue what's going on?I have a team from Roland comming to town in a week but i have a lot of work to do `till then and i`m kinda desperate.
Looking forward to reading your replies and oppinions.
Lots of thanks.
Sincerely yours,
Andrew

CanuckSigns

have you tried cleaning the encoder strip? sounds to me like that could be the issue. make sure you use 99% alcohol to clean it with DO NOT USE THE PRINT HEAD CLEANER!!

vikcho

Hi,
Not sure but I feel the machine use to sense the metal peace above the pinch rollers to determine the sheet size. Hopefully the problem is within the sensor or the metal peace.
Hope this helps.
Vikram

cnyc

re

Hey guys.I already cleaned the encoder strip as a matter of fact i'm cleaning it on a regular basis so that's not where the problem is coming from.
It might be the sensor who knows.Any other opinion would be highly appreciated.
Lots of thanks.

TresL

Check your Ribbon cable again.
The Encoder strip is not used during setup.

Also, try to move your pinch roller slightly one direction or another to see if it detects.

If you have a bad Encoder strip, you should also get stair stepped print.

InkjetAuction

Cable

Check your installation on the flex cable. It's not unusual to find a frustrated user that has plugged the cable in backwards on the mainboard. Both the cable and connector are one-sided.

Look carefully at the connector to ensure that you are inserting the cable correctly.

~E

JohnnyB123

Ribbon

... Had exactly the same - would scan over rollers then return with 0mm width - just used forum to glean instructions for this - very fiddly - (+ remember to to put head out first with Power/cleaning buttons first) - but Verscamm just printed & cut it's first 10 logos since change of ribbon... so thanks group.

ps.... error came & went for a while until it came and stayed until above.

Hope this helps... JB

Last edited:

chartle

This has happened to me twice both times it was the ribbon cable.

It had a worn spot and it either broke or was shorting out.