• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 300 problem!!!!

TSdesigns.NET

Hello ,Ive been absorbing all the info on this board for th past few years and have learned more here than anywhere! I have a problem with my Roland now that I cant figure out. A few days ago I left to go grab some stuff at Home Depot and when I got back my computer that I use to run my SP 300 was off. I tried turning it back on but it wouldn't come back on . The mouse was dead and the monitor too. I tried another monitor but the computer was still not starting up so I decided to just install it on my design computer. I run windows XP pro 32 bit with the driver that came with the printer version 1.30 and colorip 2.2. The problem Im having is when I plug the USB from the printer into the computer it appears as an UNKNOWN DEVICE. I have followed the driver install instructions exactly how they say to install. I have tried installing uninstalling and reinstalling all with the same result. I am afriad that when what ever happened to the computer happend that it may have damaged something in the printer. I had the computer that died pluged into a surge protector with another computer that is fine. The monitors for the 2 computers shared there own separate surge protectors and the printer is on its own too. The computer that died is an Old E machine from about 2000 or older and was running the same windows XP pro. I have been able to install a regular desk top photo printer on to the computer that I am trying to install the roland onto now, but when I try to install the roland it just shows up unknown device. I am going crazy and have tried everything I can think of. The power supply was smoking on the bad computer but I had unpluged it from the roland before it started to smoke.Any ideas as to what could be wrong with either my driver install or what could have been damaged would be very help full!!
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any suggestions.

TSdesigns.NET

Please help!

Am I doomed? should I just go and buy some sharpie markers and X-acto knives and a cricket express? Somebodys got to have an Idea.

TSdesigns.NET

I am runing the Windows XP pro service pack 2 in case that matters.I also tried to install it on a laptop that has Vista home 32 bit. The roland site says there are not any drivers for it but I figured I would try any way and the same problem happens. Unknown Device. I only had 3 computers and I'm down to 2 now and one of them is the Vista laptop. I plan on building a new design station soon and using my old design computer as the RIP computer but I need to get it working first. I was hoping to be able to fix this myself but I will proble have to call a Roland tech to come out.Any suggestions are welcomed! I have templates for most motocross bike graphics, ATVs, and neck braces and am willing to offer a few in return for a solution to this problem.

joeshaul

Generally when a USB device is plugged in, it will send a set of information to the computer identifying what type of device it is, who the manufacturer is, etc. When it comes up as unknown, it is generally a sign of a faulty cable, or a faulty device.

I'd say try a new cable, if that doesn't work, I'd contact Roland to see what troubleshooting tips they may have. I'd say most likely you will probably have to get a new mainboard, or see about doing some form of repair though.

TSdesigns.NET

I tried a few differant cables that work fine on my little epson photo printer but still have the same problem with the roland. I printed a system report and a test print from the controls on the printer .Everything looks fine on those. I was afraid that I would need a main board. What about the fuse that can blow on the main board? could it be that? Everything that I've found about the mainboards say that the printer dosn't print all the colors or at all. Mine printed the CMYK colors fine in the test print.Thanks for your reply!

joeshaul

I would expect it to have fried a chip, but looking at the schematics from the service manual, it looks like there are two fuses right near the USB port. Could get a multimeter out and test those. All of the fuses on the mainboard are SMD, so don't expect to see a big ol buss fuse in there. If you don't have any electronics experience, or feel uncomfortable around circuitry, it'd be best to leave it to someone else.

noregrets

I have had this trouble before too, unfortunately I had to replace the motherboard on the SP300.

Hopefully you will be able to get it to work on another machine, and your m/board isnt poked....

One thing to try, and I know this sounds nutty, but it may work - is to switch off your computer and disconnect the power cable from the back and leave it for about half an hour and then give it another go. This should resolve any funny usb issues with your usb ports (if there are any).

My fingers are crossed for you bro

TSdesigns.NET

I have a laptop thats running vista and the roland site says that there are not any drivers for the sp 300 for vista Home 32 bit. I did try any way and I get the same message on on it too.The printer prints a test print fine and I printed a system report. Just when I connect it to a computer the computer doesn't recognize it.Thanks for everyone's time and any more ideas as to whats wrong are welcomed!

TSdesigns.NET

I have the SP 300 not the SP 300V. I am running colorip 2.2 . I dont think I can run my printer with Versaworks. Versaworks only works on the V model I think.Thank you for your reply.

TSdesigns.NET

Well looks like I'll call a tech and have them come out.Thanks for everyones time! Any one have a used mainboard they wanna sell? if thats the problem.My Email address is in one of my posts above. I have had the printer for 5 years now and other than maintenance stuff ,2 flex cables and a pump its been good to me so I can't complain.I was hoping it would be something easy that I had over looked but its not looking like that will be the case.One other question of the 2 glass fuses near the main board one is white is that normal?

TSdesigns.NET

Ok Ill try that. how many fuses are there in that main board area? There are 2 glass fuses that look like regular normal fuses but I have searched around a bunch and there's main board fuses for sale on ebay that don't look like the fuses that I see. I don't know much about circuit boards and such , Ive had a friend walk me therw testing stuff over the phone but he dosn't work on printers so he dosn't know what I should be looking for. I tried calling the Roland tech that has worked on it before but his number was disconected. I just found out that cammtech is now part of supplies unlimited so if anyone else has trouble getting a hold of cammtech you should be able to get in touch with them threw Supplies unlimited in Wakefield Ma. What a hassle this has been!Thanks again for everyone's time and suggestions!

TSdesigns.NET

Its a cheap one that just says made in china. I got a bunch of them when Tweeter went out of business. I guess I got what I payed for. The one for the computer is made by APC. I have a Roland tech coming by either this afternoon or tomorrow morning!