• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 300 V print problems

Morph1

Print all
I have been having on and off a problem when printing solid black I get sometimes magenta overspray around black ...
the head print test is acceptable hardly any nozzles out... could that be static ? when I print a test print of just cyan, magenta, yellow and black consisting of rectangles filled with the indicated colors everything looks good ....
any ideas ?

thanks

player

Things I would check:

Show us a nozzle check. You say there are some problems. They need to be seen.

Head alignment tests. Do them.

What is the humidity in the room? Static can be an issue from low humidity. It should be between 45-55.

Is the red off to one side? Could be the head is not level. Any head strikes or head smears?

An empty cartridge might cause it.

Have you changed a damper? The dampers can get partially clogged and this will affect the quality.

You are using Roland inks? 3rd party inks can be an issue.

How old/how much use has the head seen? It may be just worn out.

Morph1

Print all
thank for the reply and sorry for the late answer...,
here is the print test print out...,
attachment.php

The head number one is under a billion shots count,
the head number two )magenta - yellow has just under 3 billion shots count...,
Dampers are new, encoder strip is new, the cap tops are new, data cables are new, existing heads...
no head strikes no smears...., I noticed that when I print a solid black square or rectangle I can see a bit of magenta on the edge of black left side bottom only...
The printed is positioned over a carpeted floor , could be static ??
Regarding inks , those are not original roland inks :(..., third party inks however they print great, I use the same inks on Mimaki JV3 for the past 4 years with no problems,
I have been having the problem since I bought this printer used, the original inks were roland eco sol inks and the problem I am describing had been also
happening with Roland inks...

any other ideas ?

Attachments

• Print Test Feb 26.jpg
    Print Test Feb 26.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 1,346

Morph1

Print all
Not sure... Are the dampers and caps Roland OEM?
yes they are, I just purchased the new roland caps from roland certified dealer....

What about the 3 Billion magenta shot count ? , should that head be changed ?
I noticed there is a lot of magenta spray around the entire capping station...

any other ideas ?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Is the magenta around the black fuzzy or sharp? If it is fuzzy, you most likely have an electrical issue in the head. If it is sharp, it's an alignment issue for sure. 3 billion fires is about half the life of the head but all kinds of factors can make a head go bad early.

63Comet

similar issue

I find my XJ-640 dropping randomly throughout prints. This instance it was black ink, others its Magenta. It was recently serviced by a Roland certified tech and fresh dampers installed as well. Not sure if this is a static issue or not. It's not our everyday printer so I'm not sure if that would contribute to this or not.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6011[1].jpg
    IMG_6011[1].jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_6010[1].jpg
    IMG_6010[1].jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_6009[1].jpg
    IMG_6009[1].jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 799

Morph1

Print all
My problem is different..., my inks are not dropping but magenta sprays halo around black on vinyl - looks like magenta mist, also when I move the head carriage to service position the capping station is all sprayed with magenta.... I have a spare new head , wondering if I should replace that head, but apparently it's only half way it's life so it should not be that bad....
any other ideas

63Comet

My problem is different..., my inks are not dropping but magenta sprays halo around black on vinyl - looks like magenta mist, also when I move the head carriage to service position the capping station is all sprayed with magenta.... I have a spare new head , wondering if I should replace that head, but apparently it's only half way it's life so it should not be that bad....
any other ideas

Ohhhhh, geez. Have you looked in the top side of the carriage to see if any issues might have happened inside? From your photo I thought it was just a bad jpeg.. didnt realize that was ink.

Morph1

Print all
Ohhhhh, geez. Have you looked in the top side of the carriage to see if any issues might have happened inside? From your photo I thought it was just a bad jpeg.. didnt realize that was ink.

I have looked inside as a matter of fact my carriage is open I removed all the covers so I have access to the dampers and the data cables and the heads, everything looks great on the inside and under the carriage,
the heads look good at the bottom as well... I will add a wooden sheet of plywood under my printer to separate it from the carpet as carpet carries static, I will see if that helps...
but what really appears strange to me is the all the magenta spray / mist around the capping station , it's quite heavy...

player

If you look at the dampers, is there any ink around the base where they attach to the head?

How full are the damper bladders?

Morph1

Print all
If you look at the dampers, is there any ink around the base where they attach to the head?

How full are the damper bladders?

It's all clean around the heads and dampers, I took everything apart today,
gave it an overhaul... changed the pump line and the top caps and wipers,
Drew some ink with the syringe and started printing ... it all looked good, I printed a 10 ft banner and it turned out nice,
while I was waiting for another job to get approved the printed hit the sleep mode, I came back after 4 hours and I get a notification that
cyan cartridge is running empty... I was like what the hell as I just changed the in cartridges to new, I look at my drain bottle and it was half full,
the printer almost drained 4 cartridges empty in sleep mode over the period of 4 hours...
What is going on with this unit... it used to work great before changing the captops.... those are new OEM roland captops from a roland authorized dealer...
I have never seen this happen before, why is it draining the inks... its almost as there is too much vacuum going on...

BTW the SP300 has only one head position , you can not raise the heads in 300 only on 540 model

Can anyone help out , any ideas as what is going on...

thanks.

Morph1

Print all
I was gonna edit my original post and add a another strange thing... I am not sure what is up with this printer this time lol,
I got another problem , it gets better day by day...,
I got a 30" media in, the printer scans the available width of the material and returns with 28.3" value, I got a set of graphics with contour cut setup ready to go at 27" span,
I rip using flexi , flexi detects the available printable area from the printer as 28.3" so it reads what the printer sees as media width,
I press send to printer, the printer receives the file and halts showing on the display "Sheet too small" and asks to continue...
When I press to continue the printer starts to print 1.5" away from the right side of the material even though the graphics are right tight against the right side of the rip window,
and continues printing missing the left side of my graphics as they were too long...
so ,
Material width 30",
Available printable span 28.3" detected
Graphics at 27" span
It starts printing 1.5" away from the edge of vinyl where before it used to print right tight within the right side of vinyl...
What is going on with this printer lol,
I ran Limit initialization twice so far and went all good, I turned off edge detection as well to test it , over and over same results the graphics do not fit within available span...
Is this damn roland possessed ? lol, anyone ?