• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 300V Carraige diconnect issue

dsv118

Hey guys, I'm having an issue that is now pushing jobs back.

When my print are almost done, the printer likes to randomly throw out "carriage disconnect" error and of course i have to print all over again.

No other problems with the printer, I have a fairly good amount of knowledge with these printers but have never ran into this isuue before.

General PM done regularly, Last thing done was removale of linear encoder strip, cleaned it and the rails. Linear encoder calib. and adjust. prints absolutly fine ... just likes to randomly throw this error out when the job is about 95% done ... really annoying when you print a ten foot banner three times grrrrr.

I have heard it might be the scan motor but i would like some other opinions as well.

humpsigns

Sound like one of your linear bearing might be sticking, probably your cutter head. Does the cutter stop moving.If it does push on it real lightly and see if there is any resistance, it doesn't take much to make it disconnect.

dsv118

No the carraiges roll just fine ... no bearing wear there .... I'm assuming its the linear encoder strip ... even though I removed it and cleaned it, it started stair case printing again and all signs point to the encoder strip ... I will order one and replace it and let you guys know if it fixes these issues so that others that have this problem will have a solution as well.

dsv118

FYI ... the carraiges aren't actually disconnected ... it just throws out that error even though the carraiges are still conected ... the carraiges actually just stop moving all togethere.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Put some 3-in-1 oil on the track the carriage rides along and work the carriage back and forth through the oil and into the bearings well. Do it a couple times if dirt keeps coming out of the bearings. Also, clean the track well and do this oiling process every 6 months or so. If not this problem, I have also had issues with the ribbon cable(? sorry, it's been a few years since I had a Roland) throwing an error like this.