• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-300V magenta dropped out, but contaminating yellow. I am new to this machine, any help would be appreciated.

rtcustom

Hi. I am wondering if someone can help me... even point me in the right direction. I have an old SP 300V, but its very new to me. I am just learning, I have run a few successful sticker jobs, but my magenta has dropped out almost completely (very few lines on the test print) I also noticed some contamination into the yellow. I have run cleaning, normal and powerful, and then did a manual cleaning (there was quite a bit of build-up) and had poor results(pretty much the same) so I did a head soak overnight. No change to the the magenta strip in the test print, but the yellow is now very contaminated and pretty much orange. I don't even know where to start, any advice would be appreciated.

IsItFasst

This can be a number of things but the first thing to check would be to see if the cap top is clogged for that head. Will pouring cleaning solution drain with that cap top? If you haven't changed cap tops and dampers in a while this would be the first place to start as those are cheap consumables that need to be replaced every so often. See if you can pull ink with a syringe to get the magenta flowing. The line could be clogged enough where it is just pulling enough for one side. If all of the above works then it could be an electronic issue (board, cable, etc.) but more than likely it's one of the issue above. And I know it's obvious...but there is magenta ink correct? Only ask because on rare occasions the machine can see there is ink but you pull the cartridge out and it will be empty.

FYI. I'm not a service tech but have owned a 300V for about 15 years and they are pretty easy to work on. Just keep plenty of the consumable parts laying around so you can replace as needed.

Philw

This can be a number of things but the first thing to check would be to see if the cap top is clogged for that head. Will pouring cleaning solution drain with that cap top? If you haven't changed cap tops and dampers in a while this would be the first place to start as those are cheap consumables that need to be replaced every so often. See if you can pull ink with a syringe to get the magenta flowing. The line could be clogged enough where it is just pulling enough for one side. If all of the above works then it could be an electronic issue (board, cable, etc.) but more than likely it's one of the issue above. And I know it's obvious...but there is magenta ink correct? Only ask because on rare occasions the machine can see there is ink but you pull the cartridge out and it will be empty.

FYI. I'm not a service tech but have owned a 300V for about 15 years and they are pretty easy to work on. Just keep plenty of the consumable parts laying around so you can replace as needed.
Agree completely with the comments made, also would look to the damper as a possibility.

rtcustom

Thank you. I really appreciate your input. I haven't had a chance to try these things, I will probably work on it tomorrow. I knew buying an old machine would have these sort of challenges, but because this is so new to me, its very intimidating. I was really hoping that the head soak would work and I could use it a bit more before my next challenge. But each thing is a learning opportunity and I am getting to know the machine. I have a box of 'consumable' parts that I got with the unit, but I would love to know where to source more if you don't mind sharing. I am in Ontario, Canada , if that makes a difference. Thanks