• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 540i horizontal banding

reQ

Hello there. Just need some feedback on my issue. I have SP 540i. Recently, i started to have random banding issue, it prints just fine, then i does slightly lighter horizontal line, then prints fine again, then does it again and again. Did my research, did read all threads i could find here.

- Replacing cap tops (done)
- Changing dampers (will be doing it this week)
- Checking all seals for air leaks (will be doing that also.

But i have another question. After cleaning, i started to get CHECK DRAIN BOTTLE message, even if the drain bottle is almost empty. What might cause it and is it some how related to banding issues? (Clogged drain line or something?)

Any input will be much appreciated.

P.S. Did anybody used dampers from china? Supplier here wants $49 dollars per one and i don't feel like spending this much unless i would know that i will be better spending money on that OEM part.

Thanks!

What you are describing is called white banding, and it is something that is very difficult to eradicate completely on a machine that uses Epson solvent printheads (DX4 in your case).

Printing at higher pass counts (W-pass) can often mask the effect, albeit also causing the machine to print more slowly.

The drain bottle message is based on the use of the pumps. There is nothing in the way of a sensor in the drain bottle to monitor the amount of fluid in the bottle, that message is triggered by the number of cleanings that the machine has done. It is nothing to worry about, it is a normal message.

reQ

I just had same issue over a year ago, i still had warranty on the machine and the tech said it was ink starvation problem and he replaced dampers and it was working properly, but started again few months ago (and now it happens on every job, on every kind of material & profiles) So i think i have to changed dampers again since everything else is perfect, all test print & alignments are fine

reQ

Here is the picture of the print. Tried print it in RGB & CMYK, tried all possible settings, different media... same results.
Changed dampers, changed cap tops, cleaned encoder strip, calibrated feed, calibrated bi-dr. Test print is perfect, all nozzles are firing. Checked for air leaks - no leaks, ink goes thru lines without any problems. Printing room temps about 22 Celcius.

I am desperate already.... having jobs waiting to print... fighting for 3rd day with it.

Any suggestions, what else might be wrong?
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141201_211840.jpg
    20141201_211840.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 661

splizaat

Have you tried a different roll of vinyl with same results? If you get past that first stripe, and let it continue printing, does it happen again?

Did you pause the print?

reQ

Yup, same result on all kinds of media. And it does it again and again if i will let it keep printing. Some lines are bigger then others. I am using roland inks only. Tech guy will be in tomorrow morning and hopefully will get it fixed. Cuz i just give up, plus have more and more jobs waiting to get printed. He will try changing encoder strip\feeding motor, or trying anti static kit. Fingers crossed!

player

I had some stuff like that before. One time it was in the pdf files. I switched to eps and it was fixed.

The other times it was the dampers. Also be sure the printer is level, and that it has ink in the cartridge.

reQ

new carts, printer is level... and it does not care if you give it pdf or eps or tiff file, end result is same :(

player

Did you change the dampers with OEM Roland dampers? If you used the cheap Chinese ones that's probably the problem...

Can you tell if it is one colour causing the problem?

reQ

Well, tech worked on it for 4 hours, changed everything possible, even print head, no changes whatsoever. This printed gives me to much troubles and its only 2 years old.... actually really thinking about getting rid of it and get new VSi540i with 2 years warranty.... mighty be crazy but i can't constantly fighting with a machine.