• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 540i INK QUESTION

cathartes88

We just ordered one of these units after our Mimaki turned itself into a boat anchor. I know the one year warranty requires proprietary inks be used in order to remain valid. After one year we would like to switch to an aftermarket ink, preferably Bordeaux. I have noticed not all aftermarket inks are compatible between different Roland models, mostly between the SP and VP. Is anyone successfully running an aftermarket ink on the sp 540i?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why do you wanna entertain the idea of doing this ?? All-in-all, you might save a penny or two on basic prints, overall. If you're worried about paying $115. a pop vs $85 a pop, that is silly. Your customer pays for whatever your costs are, unless you're pricing things wrong.

That's like it costs about $8. to print full coverage for a 4' x 8' while your new ink might cost about $5.00. Holy Cow, that's a heapa savings. Is it worth it in maintenance and problems down the road ?? That's the real question you hafta ask yourself.

rjssigns

Only one way to make third party inks pay. You need to be blowing through at least a full set of 440's a week. That way you can amortize the replacement parts and still come out ahead.

Otherwise don't do it.

Personally, I fully agree with Gino.

reQ

Totally agree. I have SP540i for over 3 years now. Using only Roland inks & had zero issues. I am low volume shop, using a little bit more than 1 set of carts per month, so i would not be saving much anyways. Plus, with 3rd party inks, there is a possibility that your color profiles would not print same & you will have to do some tweaking.

P.S. Zero issues with printer, just doing regular maintenance every week to keep it clean.

Shadowglen

I agree With all above stick with Roland ink. I had a Roland rep tell me that the printer will recognize the non Roland cartridges and perform cleaning more frequently. I am not sure if that is fact or fiction, but if it is true your savings will all be going into your drain bottle.

brightbanner

i like vivid color
How many cartridges can you use each month?
If your printer is not busy, original ink cartridge is better choice, you can keep after sale service from Roland with it.
And the cost difference is not big when the quantity is small.

But if your printer is busy, good 3rd part ink is better choice.
Cost will be only 50% of original ink, and print well too.

Brent