• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540i vs VS-420 vs SC-540

toomeycustoms

So I've narrowed my purchase down to a Roland. Right now I have the following 3 options:

Option 1 - $13,000 - Used SP-540i with a set of 220 inks and a roll of media. 90 day warranty with option to purchase year warranty for $1200

Option 2 - $15,000 - Used VS-420. Only a few months old. Waiting to hear which ink configuration it has. Its a private seller, so no warranty unless the Roland warranty is transferable. Come with the ink in it about 3/4 full.

Option 3 - $12,000 - Refurbished SC-540 EX with a set of inks. 90 day warranty.

This will be my first solvent machine. I have a Canon IPF8000s, but that thing is virtually maintenance free.

I'm leaning towards the VS-420, but am concerned with the limited media options. Wall decals will be the majority of the business along with short run decals. Is there material for wall decals in the 42" size? In the future, if I do jump into wraps, will the 42" be sufficient?

And latex is out of the question as 220v is not an option for me.

Thanks in advance!

Large Format

I would stay away from the SP-540i It is only a two head printer.
Go for the VS- if it is CYMK LC LM. that is a great printer
or spend $500. more and get the 545ex, a big improvement over the 540.

Colin

I would stay away from the SP-540i It is only a two head printer.

Only if you're a high-production shop. If you're not (like me), then a 2-head machine is just fine. The new SP540i is (claimed) 50% faster than the old SP, and uses the "Intelligent Pass" technology (plus a number of other upgrades). Print quality is great.

LivinLarge

42" not standard around here...

wall stickers...so Oracal 3164 or 3165ra would work great. comes in 54" and 30" that I am aware of without special cutting.

I know of no banner material in 42". all is 54"/50"/38"/36" and 30" from what i have ever come across.

As for wraps...that is 30/54/60" Oracal material. so you would have to go with a 30"...that would create a lot of extra seems do to not being able to cover that much surface space at a time.

I say you go as big as you can afford. as well as you go with as fast as you can afford. If you dont need it...fine. but for that time you do...you have it!!

as for the VS...that's the machine that does silver correct?...IF you print silver, you MUST laminate! otherwise it will wipe off days weeks months down the road just with the lightest touch.

Hope that helps some!

AUTO-FX

3M I180CV3 36" is widely available for wraps but you'll end up with more seams or more planning required to avoid seams. Oracal has some media in 36" for various applications.
Also, Seramark has wall graphic film in 42"

VTSigns

Without a doubt, go with the SC-540. Don't limit yourself to 42" with the VS-420. The SP-540i is going to be much slower than the SC-540. Yes, the SC-540 is the oldest model of all the printers but it is very fast and the print quality is great. As long as the heads are in good condition and the machine is properly calibrated you should have no problem with the SC-540. I bought my SC-540 used 5 years ago and it is still running strong today. You probably can't go wrong with any of options but for the money I would go with the SC-540.

toomeycustoms

Thanks everyone for their input. I decided to go with a SC545 from LFP. It will be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait to start using it.