• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 540i vs VS 540i

reQ

I have 2 year old SP 540i which i still have issues with banding ( tech was in 2 times already and almost fixed it, will be replacing one of the motors that have built in encoder that should solve the problem but i am not 100% sure)

But i have another option - get rid of this printer (which is still on lease for 1 more year, after that i own it) or get VS 540i and basically start a new lease for it for another 3 years until i own it.

My question is, is it even worth upgrading or should i just stick with my SP 540i? I like that VS 540i print nicer colors due to Lc & Lm and it prints faster... plus it will be completely covered by 2 year warranty.

Any suggestions?

InkjetAuction

VSi Upgrade

There will be lots of folks here that will say run it into the ground... but I'd buy into the future. It's only going to be a continuing struggle as the machine gets older.
If you are a Roland guy, I'd move to a nice new VS-540i with a seven color inkset (CMYKLcLmLk) with its 7 variable dot sizes prints just awesome.

My opinion.

~E

reQ

ya... i do feel like i want a new one also, plus 2 year warranty is nice, when you don't have to spend a dime if something goes wrong.
Any other opinions?

player

If I was buying a new Roland I would not sign for anything until it is up and running FOR AT LEAST 30 DAYS. Then pay for it. Too many people buy these printers and they don't work properly for months or years or ever... Roland is good, but slow to fix the problems if they can be fixed. If you don't own it, they can take the f-ing crap back and you can get a new one instead of being jerked around for years.

DRamm76

If I was buying a new Roland I would not sign for anything until it is up and running FOR AT LEAST 30 DAYS. Then pay for it. Too many people buy these printers and they don't work properly for months or years or ever... Roland is good, but slow to fix the problems if they can be fixed. If you don't own it, they can take the f-ing crap back and you can get a new one instead of being jerked around for years.

Let's face facts here...All machines have issues. You go out there and find me ONE brand that NEVER fails and you're the richest man alive. Mercedes Benz will cost you $80,000 yet you still have breakdowns. What comes into play here is is the dealer you are buying it from knowledgeable enough to service the machine you are purchasing.

If you need to insist on holding the dealer up for 30 days to get them paid when they don't even manufacturer the machine, then i'd say be prepared to pay what they are asking and not beat them up on top of it. You have to be careful in situations like that because what if the machine does work properly for a month and you go threatening to withhold payment, cause a big uproar and at the end of the day, the machine isn't level, the environment isnt suitable and the media is cheap garbage that people expect top quality from?

I understand COMPLETELY the frustrations of a machine not working properly, but I'm sorry, taking it out on the guy who sold it by holding them up for 30 days on payment is pretty ignorant. Now, on the flip side, if you lack the faith in the company who sold you the machine, I get it. Holding them up will help restore faith perhaps if they make good on it and do right by you sure.

But this is also why there is a 2 Year Warranty on most machines. You're covered.

reQ

I think i will just get VSi 540 and get rid of spi 540. 2 years warranty goes long way i think and better print result also

JP4

Besides the Color options...does the SPI produce bright and clear prints compared to the VSI unit? Does the Droplet difference allow for clearer prints?

messmedia

Well, I wouldn't agree with statement about issues, ... partially :)

The thing is, after 4 years (I think, ... 4 and a half) my Roland rs 640 NEVER FAILED ON ME (knock on woods). I had few problems, but none of them were really on roland (I had spheric banding which was from new vinyl brand I was trying, which couldn't stand little higher air temperature, and once I had a head-hit on double-sided banner material I was printing ... and it took 2 days for printhead to comeback from nockout :D)

So, for the first time IN MY 40yr old life, I WAS COMPLETELY SATISFIED with an electronic product.

Needless to say all my future printer-buys will be of Roland brand, until they start goin' Chinese ( :) nothing racists here, just a statement about a trend that's going on today :) - not that there is no Chinese products of quality, it is that other companies go Chinese for lower cost-prices, so they go too low. I find, for example, my Youngnuo photo-flash to be more practical than Nikon, but Youngnuo is serious Chinese flash manufacturer, so they do it right way ...)

Anyway, to finally get back on topic: I also am in a market to buy new Roland - VS, probably 54'' (since I rarely printed wider than that for the past 4 years).
To me, point of sale is Light Black, as we are shifting a bit our business politics toward end users that appreciate high quality prints. So, we need black&whites to bi black and white, - no color casts ...

Here, there is a WAR among print studios, that is mostly fought with lowering prices, and that is War We Do Not Want To Fight :).
So, as our too rich clients go a bit richer on our account, we are addressing customers who need to show-off with fresh-looking prints, wraps ... ... Ordinary people, mostly ... with extraordinary taste :)
And there - metallics will do their second job in - advertising us, and push "the attractive" in our print service.

So, those are reasons for upgrade, and I am sorry to say, my trusty rs640 will have to go, as we have an offer to change old for new (and we also think about getting lef 12)

I think enough time has past, machines got significantly better, newer print heads, smaller dot sizes, new options .... Time is for a change.

P.S. - If we decide against LEF12, we WILL KEEP rs640, and probably flip it to sublimation printer. Our supplier offered that long time ago, as original Roland service, so it might be worth to check it out. Sublimation prints also widen possibilities - people are sucker for cushions, custom made drapes ... And if U do lot of fares, U might find that fabrics are pretty easy to apply and look more organic and natural in space...