• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sp-540v Black Problem

bdawg8527

I am having a problem with the black on my 540v. Its printing very off, hard to explain. I have included a picture that shows what its doing as well as a nozzle print. I do not think its related to the few miss firing nozzles but thought I would get a few more opinions before I buy a new printhead. I just replaced the encoder strip and cleaned the sensor. (I did both linear encoder setup and calibration after instillation). This problem is only happening with the black. I am also getting horizontal lines in my black.

Attachments

• 20130506_124242.jpg
    20130506_124242.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20130506_124212.jpg
    20130506_124212.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 86

geofff

I am having a problem with the black on my 540v. Its printing very off, hard to explain. I have included a picture that shows what its doing as well as a nozzle print. I do not think its related to the few miss firing nozzles but thought I would get a few more opinions before I buy a new printhead. I just replaced the encoder strip and cleaned the sensor. (I did both linear encoder setup and calibration after instillation). This problem is only happening with the black. I am also getting horizontal lines in my black.

Almost certainly NOT static - nozzle test shows clear deflections which WILL cause banding & overspray.

Just been through the same process here on our 540V last week - tried without success to clear heads but just too far gone. They had been getting worse over the past month or so - had missing nozzles and deflections on black & magenta so had to change both heads. Our black was worse than yours but it's only a matter of time - black will always be first to go.

I also fitted new pump, dampers & caps - Machine now like new and prints perfect nozzle test (as you would expect).

Expensive replacement but worth it. We've been lucky, our 540 is 7 years old next week and it's the first time we've had to replace heads.

Service manual reckons life of heads is 6 billion shots/nozzle - when I checked the head history in the service menu, our black head had done 5.9 billion shots so they seem to be pretty accurate in their forecast.

Geoff

CS-SignSupply

Bias adjustment may be off as well based on what I see in the Test Pattern.. If that is off, vertical, horizontal and bi-di might be off too.

CS-SignSupply

The pattern in the black looks odd and might be head or electrical.... power off, unplug and check all ribbon cable connections to make sure all are seated properly. Where did you get the head?

bdawg8527

Got it used a few months ago. I replaced all the dampers and did test prints of bias, vertical, and horizontal alignment. Guessing im going to have to just get a new head. Anyone recommend a good supplier?

signsbydebbie

Black issues...

I had this issue on the YM head. It is old so I decided to go for it so I soaked the nozzles in acetone or enamel reducer, I can't remember which. Then I forced the same solvent through with it with a small syringe. Also I changed the wipers and scraper, the scraper gets neglected. Anyway that was a few months ago and I'm still getting a good pattern and no overspray. When you force spray solvent through the head you can see the true condition of the nozzles.

Last head I bought I paid $760