• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 540V Encoder/wandering prints!!!!!!

kustomkoncepts

I aneed to find a support group for others with this wandering print problem my Roland seem to be prone to..JK

I really have a lot of problems with my encoder strip and in turn get the wandering print problem. I have replaced the encoder 6 times in 4 years. also that service call 0110, Cariages Detached, and what ever it wants to tell me to keep wrecking material and me pulling out my hair.

I will admit I do have a static problem in my shop. I am on carpet. and get funny overspray paterns on the prints from time to time along with on the plastic parts of my printer, Cover and such.

I run a lot of Arlon GTX4560 and we all know how static ridden that material is. I even have to run a Tinsel static rod on the machine in the winter and Humidifiers to make it work.

I kinda know what my problem is but want to know of others with the same problem what situation or enviroment is your printer in? also people who have no problems with your encoder strips, what enviroment are you in? Separate room, type of flooring ect.

I want to see if there is a pattern to this problem and hope that it is not the machines fault that it is my fault because of the enviroment I try to run it in.

I am Climat controled and right now at 40-50% humidity and 70 Degrees in the winter it gets to 20-30% humidity also 70 Degrees. winter is when I really see the static and get shocks from it.

Thanks for any help.

ZsVinylInc

I have an SP-540V and run it on carpet....in fact my whole shop is carpet and never really had any troubles with static.

kustomkoncepts

I get zaped from time to time in the winter. especially every time I touch the printer or lift a print off the cutting table. I have the 1/4" cutting mats from Impact Image one.

cartoad

Are you printing from Versa Works? We switched over to Versa Works for printing and use a little less ink (I think) , and also noticed that the overspray has been reduced.
We were printing from Flexi, and also had encoder problems. We have replaced two in 3 and 1/2 years. We clean the strip about once per month and that seems to help.

Gene@mpls

The only problems I recall with my SP were encoder strips and modules-
got pretty good at R&R and flipping the strip over. With my VP I took the
plexi door off as soon as I got it (at the advise of my Roland tech) and I
have had no problems so far. I have talked to someone with the same printer
that has had problems- so that might be worth trying. Gene

You shouldnt have to be replacing encoders every 3 months. I understand your issue with static, and even seen the arlon static issue in 4or5 shops. Fortunately there are a few things you can do to rid this problem. First off the encoder strip if being replaced need to know that they can be flipped and you can get another use off the edge not being used. The encoder sensor is probably another problem you all are experiencing since it is what is scanning and reading the strip if it is alittle out of alignment it can be rubbing and scratching your encoder strip. Also the sensor needs to be cleaned at the same time the encoder is cleaned only with 70% alcohol anything else i.e. the head cleaner or 90% alcohol will damage the mylar encoder strip. What you do seem to understand the more static you have the more overspray and the overspray ends up on your encoder strip...

To say that carpet is fine to run your printers on really just depends on the climate and the spot you are located. If it is as bad as you describe it to be Kustom I would go as far as putting grounding mats under your printer a rubber mat that has a grounding clip and they are cheap have had to use these in other touchy situations. also grounding the printer itself to a "earth ground" if you dont want to do it that way atleast get it on a good piece of plywood and off the carpet or direct ground. Let me know

PS that Arlon is good stuff until you have your enviroment and you get overspray streaking on every print.... I am telling you it has something to do with the process of laying the backing on to the made vinyl it is so prone I have beatin my head on a few printers just b/c of this issue. 1 more trick I would like you to think about on a static sensitive enviroment like yours you can buy those swifter duster refills for the thing like the little mop but this is the duster there puffy purple things and use velcro put on back edge of printer were your media will be going in put velcro on those swifter dusters and stick them on the back of printer that way it will be wiping the surface of your media before it gets to the platen to be printed I have done that trick with the shops running Arlon 4560, and 6000 and it works great no more streaking and overspray!!!
good luck

mark in tx

Take a close look at the alignment of the encoder reader. It might not be mounted straight.
You can use those little single use alcohol wipe pads to clean the encoder and the plastic strips that protect the ribbon cable.
Also use them to clean the metal above the area where the ribbon cable.
Make sure the alcohol pads are not over 70% alcohol.

kustomkoncepts

Thank you all for your help.

I have always have printing from Versa Works. I printed from Sign Lab's rip once and yes that lays down way more ink. I like Versa Works.

I did do the ground thing to my cold water copper pipe I'll see if that helps.

I have also replaced the laser sensor board. and it is aligned so it does not touch the encoder. (that was the problem one of the times) also have replaced the Ribbon cable twice. at that time I kept getting a Invalid Pinch roll position even when it was in a valid spot.

To clarify my printer is working now today.

but was not yesterday and I have just had a lot of issues with this problem over the years.

My 5 year lease is up on it in Febuary and unfortunately in the lease contract I have to but it out at 10% and will own it and Then I really want to get a XC printer.

This SP has kinda been a Service Techs Dream and a Shop Owners Nightmare!!

Now it can't track right ans they say I need to replace the end Roller Wheels. I did same thing.

Now he wants me to buy the whole wheel carriers with the springs. another $500 in the bucket!!

Thanks again for all the help....

Did you replace the strip, or did you have a technician replace the strips? We recently repaired a "lemon" SP540 because the owner did his own repairs...replacing 4 strips in a month, scan motors, etc... I had a typed out report two pages long of "repairs" the owner did that forced the printer to failure. As a note, it's now repaired properly, in his shop, and prints like a new printer.
You have a bad cable card with a broken/cracked wire is why you are getting the error Invalid Pinch Wheel Position (or bad junction board), replace the two plastic guides while you are replacing the cable card as these get sticky with ink/dirt and cause the cable card to "slap" resulting in broken wires.

kustomkoncepts

all major repairs I pay a Roland Certified Tech to come over and fix it (The Sign Supply shop I bought the machine from).

I have replaced Roller wheels and other small stuff but encoders strips scan motors and ribbon cable I do not.

HMMMM.... Pacific Coast sounds like you are describing a newbie tech. thats not good Dont ever replace the springs and the entire roller assy. thats expensive b/c no one buys them.

When you had alignment or tracking issue and replaced the outside rollers did you make sure they were turned in right direction they arent flat they are slanted and the high side of pinch roller goes to outside on both left and right....

The SP is a workhorse it should carry low maintance if used properly. It sounds to me that "certified tech" might be making alittle extra money on you. Some problems like a encoder strip should be done over the phone "done it more times in my sleep than I can count"