• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540V Failed to print rear 2 crop marks

ncpsigns

Hello everyone.

Loaded an EPS file into VersaWorks, set it up to print with Crop Marks as usual, the printer printed the 2 front starting crop marks, then printed the entire print perfectly, yet at the end it completely failed to print the back ending 2 crop marks; basically the printer just kept feeding out the roll non-stop until the job was manually cancelled by myself on the printer. Now we are forced to hand trim out a huge print job or re-print it entirely and hope for the end crop marks to print again? What would cause this?

During printing of this big file, I did load a few more new files into the same queue that are fairly large in size, yet all loaded OK and VersaWorks did not crash or freeze up, which it is also known to do randomly. I am not sure how setting up other files while the other file is printing would cause the software or printer to flat out forget about printing the final end crop marks? Must be some bug in the software that will never get fixed? This activity is not cool as it wastes media and more importantly, our time.

I am going to re-load the media, re-boot the computer, re-load the EPS files into VersaWorks, this time one file at a time, which seems un-necessary. The printer always prints the ending crop marks on other jobs. Just curious if anyone else has this issue, or what would cause it to occur.

Thanks everyone! :help :banghead: :frustrated:

Cyw

My guess is that your file has a small, virtually invisible object somewhere below.......maybe far below your main graphic.
You could have manually stopped the feed before it got there.

Worth a check.
Make sure you save/export your eps file with the box 'selected only' checked
That way you'll eliminate any errant unwanted extra junk that may have been left on your design workspace.

You can also double check (before printing) the image size in VW and see if it matches your art or if it's showing an odd vertical dimension.

Alpha Star

You'd be able to see that in versaworks... check the print size and make sure it corresponds with how big the graphic should be.

Also, check page spacing. Maybe you accidentally set that to a high number?

ncpsigns

Thanks for the help everyone. Yeah , I was sure to check & make sure nothing was hidden within the file waaay down below the print to make the printer want to creep the media waaaaaay past the print itself. It is strange because we can re-load the same exact EPS file by itself back into VersaWorks, re-print with the same settings, and it prints the end crop marks OK... the only difference is I did not load other large files, or edit the settings for other large files, or rip any additional large files during the print process..... basically let the printer software concentrate on that one print at one time.

I am sure it is some glitch where the program possibly lost some data within VersaWorks during my importing/editing/ripping of other large files during the print process on the other one with the failed marks. I am guessing the importing of the other files threw it off somehow, which is a bummer...... maybe it messed up the rip data? I am confident it is more likely just a software issue. The computer we rip on is very high end, has a massive amount of memory and so forth, yet still with the larger files, it gets slowed down and what-not... so it might not be able to handle it all simultaneously and I will just have to be more patient on the big ones we print. Oh well!

This has happened before to us at the shop with large files, nothing new, just really frustrating to say the least! Also, I did set page spacing to 150 MM except in my experience, I was sure the page spacing feed-out action occurred not before but after the final crop marks are printed (basically page space rolls out the roll 150mm, or whatever you have set, after the final crop marks are printed to then allow you to sheet cut the media at that spot leaving the 150mm length after the crop marks so you can then di-cut the print with the extra 150mm which would allow the printer to hang on to the media as it gets to that far back di-cut area.) Plus the printer fed the media out waaay further than 150mm.

Last time the printer failed on the final crop marks, we didn't catch it right away and it fed most of the remaining fresh roll of media onto the floor as we were not using the take-up-reel at the time! Not cool. Going to be more careful from now on.

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.