• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help SP-540v Gaps in Cyan Ink Output

Nate.H

I have a VersaCamm SP-540v that has not been printing the cyan ink consistently. This seems to only happen once in a while, but it's become more frequent lately. I've run several medium cleans as well as a powerful. I also performed a head soak and replaced the wiper blades. After the wiper blade change, it looked like it was fixed, but it's come back again. I'm really not sure what else to do here. Any suggestions?

Please see the attached test print to see what I'm working with. You can see that there are also a few cyan and black lines that have swapped places.

NOTE: The black has been fuzzy for a while. That's not the main issue I'm trying to resolve this time, but if you happen to know why that's happening, that would be helpful as well. But if not it's okay – it's been that way for a long time now and I'm okay with the print quality.

Thanks,
Nate

Attachments

• print-quality_210929.jpg
    print-quality_210929.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 235

balstestrat

Problem Solver
How do your caps look like? Replace them anyway if they look good and you haven't in a while.
Then if caps look okay, replace damper.

You might just need a new head...

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
How do your caps look like? Replace them anyway if they look good and you haven't in a while.

I agree, if cap tops and dampers don't fix it, then the head will need replacing, but do those first, as they are a lot cheaper.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That's a pretty rough nozzle check. A agree with balstestrat. When I change cap tops I usually flush some cleaning solution through the pump tubes to make sure they aren't fully or partially clogged as well.

Nate.H

Thank you for the suggestion! The caps do look a little rough. I'll replace those first and see if that helps.

Nate.H

That's a pretty rough nozzle check. A agree with balstestrat. When I change cap tops I usually flush some cleaning solution through the pump tubes to make sure they aren't fully or partially clogged as well.

Thank you! I'll plan to flush the tubes as well. I'm ordering new cap tops now. We'll see if that helps. I'll report back here once I'm able to test it out.

Nate.H

Hey, sorry for the late reply (long weekend). I ran a test print before I left last Friday and then again today and it looks like the quality has greatly improved! I replaced the caps, ran several cleans, did a manual clean and also a Head Wash. Thank you all for your suggestions and help!

Attachments

• Test-Print_211013.jpg
    Test-Print_211013.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 108

Zoogee World

Is that photo from the results you are getting today? If so, it's still really rough on the black.

Nate.H

Is that photo from the results you are getting today? If so, it's still really rough on the black.
Yes, the black has been bad for a long time now. Cleaning doesn't seem to help, so I'm assuming it's a bad print head. We replaced the Magenta/Yellow print head a few months back, but I've been holding off purchasing a new one for the Black/Cyan due to the cost.

This is actually an issue we're seeing in the black on our other Roland VersaCamm (SP-540i) as well. Is there something we can be doing to avoid this from happening? It only seems to happen to the black. Because it's happening on both printers, I'm assuming it's not just a coincidence.

Zoogee World

It could be due to a head strike, which kind of sounds like it might be the case if it's happening with 2 printers. One thing to do is use the media clamps and keep the vacuum power on high. Also if you're noticing the media isn't laying down very well, you might need to clean out the vacuum fan.

rjssigns

On the older Rolands the K channel of the K/C head is the first to pass over the material. This means it is the first one to run into or over whatever is in its way.
Looking at your test print the K/C head is knackered. Time to replace it.

Nate.H

It could be due to a head strike, which kind of sounds like it might be the case if it's happening with 2 printers. One thing to do is use the media clamps and keep the vacuum power on high. Also if you're noticing the media isn't laying down very well, you might need to clean out the vacuum fan.
I think it's safe to rule out a head strike because the black seems to be fuzzy throughout the printed media, where the other colors are nice and clean. I've attached a few print samples here so you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• blackQuality-01_211013.jpg
    blackQuality-01_211013.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 111
  • blackQuality-02_211013.jpg
    blackQuality-02_211013.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • blackQuality-03_211013.jpg
    blackQuality-03_211013.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89

Zoogee World

I wouldn't rule out a head strike, as it could just effect one color depending where it hit, and as the black is the outer color, it makes sense, as we recently experienced a similar issue with our SG-300, and the cause was decided it was due to a head strike, even though no one saw it happen and our black completely stopped working, but all other colors were perfectly fine. I cannot say for certain this is what is your issue, but it sure sounds to be a likely culprit.

Nate.H

I wouldn't rule out a head strike, as it could just effect one color depending where it hit, and as the black is the outer color, it makes sense, as we recently experienced a similar issue with our SG-300, and the cause was decided it was due to a head strike, even though no one saw it happen and our black completely stopped working, but all other colors were perfectly fine. I cannot say for certain this is what is your issue, but it sure sounds to be a likely culprit.
Thank you for your insight on this. I'll have to do some more research to see if this is truly a head strike issue. That might be an easier (and cheaper) fix than replacing the print head itself.

Nate.H

On the older Rolands the K channel of the K/C head is the first to pass over the material. This means it is the first one to run into or over whatever is in its way.
Looking at your test print the K/C head is knackered. Time to replace it.
That's what I was afraid of. I'm going to do a bit more research on this to see if there's anything else I can do before purchasing a new print head, but your diagnosis of it's condition is helpful, thank you!

Zoogee World

Thank you for your insight on this. I'll have to do some more research to see if this is truly a head strike issue. That might be an easier (and cheaper) fix than replacing the print head itself.
No problem, however if this is a result of a head strike, you will need to replace the head, as there is no bringing it back, to get it to print properly and cleanly, but it will help prevent it from happening again if you try those steps I mentioned earlier.

Nate.H

No problem, however if this is a result of a head strike, you will need to replace the head, as there is no bringing it back, to get it to print properly and cleanly, but it will help prevent it from happening again if you try those steps I mentioned earlier.
Okay, I understand now. Thank you for clarifying! We have an issue with humidity in our office in the hotter months, and occasionally the material bunches up. If we don't catch it before printing, it has made contact with the material. I'll put in the request for a new print head. Thanks again!

Zoogee World

Okay, I understand now. Thank you for clarifying! We have an issue with humidity in our office in the hotter months, and occasionally the material bunches up. If we don't catch it before printing, it has made contact with the material. I'll put in the request for a new print head. Thanks again!
That would explain it, we've had that happen due to the heat too. I'd recommend having an air conditioner, even if portable in the room with the printer, as well as a de-humidifier. This combo has greatly reduced the material causing us issues.