• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540v Ink drop out

jsalda

I've been battling this issue for a while now and am tired of it! Finally taking the time to post and see if anybody has any solutions.

I get ink dropping out on solids, especially noticeable on dark colors. The Cyan/Black head is about 2 years old and a head print test comes out good. The two pictures attached show how it looks. This is a 100% black (using Roland Color System Library swatch RVW-BK21A), although the photo doesn't capture the true saturation. Red arrows show the print head/carriage direction. These prints are using PCV2 Premium Cast profile, Color Management Preset is Sign & Display and quality is set to High Speed. Changing quality to Standard helps, but it's still there. I've got a set of new cap tops and dampers, but I changed those out about a year ago, so not sure that's really the problem.

Any help is most appreciated!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 347

player

To rule out the profile try the Oracal 3651 profile. It seems to work great on most medias.

A year is about time to change caps and wipers.

jsalda

player, thanks for the reply. The Oracal profile is a 720x720, I need to be able to run these at 360x360, it's just solid black letters for a bus, no need to waste time when there is little detail. The problem happens on a variety of profiles and media, I've done some pretty thorough testing. Some materials and profiles minimize the effect, but it truly never goes away. If there is another specific 360 profile out there that you'd like me to try, I'd be happy to. Maybe I just haven't found the correct one yet?

The issue has been a long standing one, was still there even when I changed the caps & wiper last year.

FYI, the material in the picture is Avery 1005 RS EZ, unlaminated.

player

The things that come to mind are profile, ink starvation, dirty encoder strip, and contaminated media.

Are you using Roland ink?

If the damper is clogged it might starve the head when going extra fast at 360. It may just be a limitation with the printer.

Have you cleaned the encoder strip?

I would still try the 3651 profile as you said it shows up at 720 x 720 with what you are using now.

Keep us posted...

jsalda

Just to follow up
  • Encoder strip has been replaced in the past 2 years, cleaned with the past 6 months.
  • Using LiqueColor inks (their HQ is about 25 miles away and support is awesome!). BUT, I have gone through a couple of ink cycles using Roland to see if it was ink, no change
  • It's been happening for a while, so we've got through plenty of material, ruling out contaminated media
  • As mentioned, I do have a set of dampers on hand when I perform the next PM, but those have also been replaced in the past years. Maybe they were bad?

HOWEVER, I did try the 3651 on a full color job and I am very impressed. My colors are much more saturated and true to what they should be. I think I have a new "go-to" profile for my 720x720 stuff. Thanks for that suggestion. :U Rock:

player

I am still wondering if it happens with the 3651.

Have you changed the Versaworks settings from pre-press to rich color? (I am not at my PC so names might not be exact.)

jsalda

Yes, it happens with the 3651 profile. I just printed a job that had a large solid black, used the 3651 profile and media settings for heat & dryer. Color management IS NOT on Pre-Press, it's on Sign & Display. Still there.

I really think it's an ink starvation issue or maybe something electrical that is not making good contact. Overall, the black comes out nice and solid, just RANDOM, fine streaks in the direction of the carriage (so that helps rule out the encoder strip). It seems, the larger the solid, the worse they are. Or maybe its just a visual illusion The attached photo is more off a wide angle view of a print, you can see the streak running right down the middle of the photo
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 323

jsalda

Haven't had time to check PrePress or Max Impact setting.

I do have a job that we have to get out with a large, black solid that runs along most of the job. Using the 3651 profile and I added 10% of Cyan, Magenta & Yellow to try and minimize any streaks. They are still there, just not as noticeable. They run the entire width of the print and consist of about 5 streaks measuring about a 1/4" apart. The first streak or two are faint, the next one is more noticeable, then they fade out again. This pattern repeats about every 3 inches.

jsalda

So, it's been a while since I've had time to post back on this topic. It seems that the Oracal profile coupled with the new Avery 1105 has taken care of the problem in dark solids, but there are still issues in the lighter solids; light blues and grays. Here are a couple of pictures of what I'm getting. The one that is very noticeable was at the start of the run. I stopped it and restarted and it's better, but still there.Red lines mark the area of concern on 2nd picture. IMG_0196.jpg IMG_0197.jpg

SP-540v: Streak Banding in Prints

So, it's been a while since I've had time to post back on this topic. It seems that the Oracal profile coupled with the new Avery 1105 has taken care of the problem in dark solids, but there are still issues in the lighter solids; light blues and grays. Here are a couple of pictures of what I'm getting. The one that is very noticeable was at the start of the run. I stopped it and restarted and it's better, but still there.Red lines mark the area of concern on 2nd picture. View attachment 117768 View attachment 117769

Hey Jsald,

No need for you to continue struggling with this issue. It's recommended that you contact Roland support and get help with this ASAP. We'll need you to complete our support submission form so we can create a support ticket for you. Go here to submit your info: Product Support Form | Roland

We look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

jsalda

Hey Jsald,

No need for you to continue struggling with this issue. It's recommended that you contact Roland support and get help with this ASAP. We'll need you to complete our support submission form so we can create a support ticket for you. Go here to submit your info: Product Support Form | Roland

We look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

I've been in contact with the local authorized Roland tech about this issue several times, he seems uninterested in investigating since this machine is out of warranty. So I feel that it is left up to me and this community to determine the problem.

However, I seem to have narrowed down the issue. I think it's connected to the feed motor. If I unroll the material and create a "service loop" so that there is not any tension on the material, everything seems to print just fine. Is the motor just not strong enough to pull a full roll of material and in need of replacement? Pinch rollers have been replaced in the past year.

Ragnabrok

I was leaning toward feed issue looking at the test prints. Maybe some backlash in the feed gear? the feed motor is spring loaded to the gear, so loosening the bolts that hold the feed motor to the chassis, wiggling it, and re tightening them might fix it.