• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540V Ink Line Replacement

phototec

Added thought... If you want to be sure you have all the dried ink out of the lines, fill them with acetone again and block of both ends and let it sit for 30 minutes, then flush it out again.
Hi Jim, I think I have a ink starvation issue with my magenta print head, the nozzle test print looks perfect, however, when printing a larger image with my SP540V, it is printing correctly until the far left side of the image and then the magenta would drop out (you can see it in the gray camo image attached). On the far left when the magenta inks runs out, the gray camo looks greenish. I changed the damper and that did not fix the issue.

To complete the job, my work around was to add about 6 inches of extra image that would be trimmed off later, and then the greenish cast would be printed on the area to be cut off.

I have not been able to fix the issue and after reading your suggestion in this post (you bring up some great info). You mentioned something about the needle that punctures the ink cartridge getting clogged, could that cause the magenta print head to be starved when printing, or do you think the magenta ink lines needs to be flushed out?

Or could I have an air leak, and if so I how do you test for an air leak in the magenta ink line? Thanks
ADDED EXTRA GRAY CAMO SO GREEN TINT MOVED FARTHER TO THE LEFT SO IT CAN BE CUT OFF.png

Last edited:

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
First, to start to isolate the cause, run the fill test in service mode and see what it looks like. Please post your results, along with a nozzle test print done immediately after finishing the fill test. Do not do a cleaning in between the 2 prints.

Attachments

• Fill test.pdf
    575.1 KB · Views: 84

phototec

First, to start to isolate the cause, run the fill test in service mode and see what it looks like. Please post your results, along with a nozzle test print done immediately after finishing the fill test. Do not do a cleaning in between the 2 prints.
Jim, ok. Does the fill test use a lot of ink, should I install new carts? Also, if I install new carts for the Fill Test, after that can I put the used carts back in the printer and apply foil tape over the punctured opening on the carts to save for later?
In general, what is your advice about changing carts like mentioned above? Thanks

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The fill test prints a color bar from each color individually, usually at a standard print setting. Not to be confused with an ink fill. Keep the existing cartridges in the printer. You'll see...

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Also, never remove an ink cartridge from the printer with the power on, as it resets the front panel ink level counter. It will not cause any issues and will still stop when out of ink, but it will mislead you as to how much ink is remaining in a cartridge.

phototec

Also, never remove an ink cartridge from the printer with the power on, as it resets the front panel ink level counter. It will not cause any issues and will still stop when out of ink, but it will mislead you as to how much ink is remaining in a cartridge.
Jim, here you go. It took me a while to get into the Service Mode, 3 photos of the test pattern fill (right, middle, and left side), and the test print made right after.

The blotchy print is because I am using an very old 54" wide roll of 3165 vinyl, however the magenta is showing some streaking, which increases going towards the left side.

Also, I see a slight hint of magenta in the yellow?

What would cause the streaks in the magenta? Thanks
TEST PATTERN FILL (RIGHT SIDE) copy.jpg
TEST PATTERN FILL (MIDDLE) copy.jpg
TEST PATTERN FILL (LEFT SIDE) copy.jpg
TEST PRINT RIGHT AFTER TEST PATTERN FILL copy.jpg

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Your magenta/yellow head is failing. Time to replace it. No point in head soaking, as the magenta streaks in the yellow indicate the magenta channel is having firing issues, so the problem is electronic in the head, in my experience. Replace the dampers at the same time. You can go into service mode and get an idea how much usage it has by printing the history report in service mode and looking at the shot count. It will be H2, 3 being magenta and 4 being yellow. When you do replace it, be sure to enter the head rank and clear the shot counts for that head.

phototec

Your magenta/yellow head is failing. Time to replace it. No point in head soaking, as the magenta streaks in the yellow indicate the magenta channel is having firing issues, so the problem is electronic in the head, in my experience. Replace the dampers at the same time. You can go into service mode and get an idea how much usage it has by printing the history report in service mode and looking at the shot count. It will be H2, 3 being magenta and 4 being yellow. When you do replace it, be sure to enter the head rank and clear the shot counts for that head.
Jim, you were 100% correct, I replaced the M/Y head and my SP540V is printing great again. I also pulled (flushed) cleaning fluid through all 4 ink lines and installed 4 new dampers. Thank you!