• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 540V Printing Issue

jeff412

I just purchased a used SP540v. When I ran the test print the black was fuzzy. The blue red and yellow looked good. I tried medium cleans and powerful cleans to fix it, but it didn't help. I then read on the forum that I should try a head soak. So following the instructions on here I soaked the heads overnight. This morning I perform a regular clean and then did a test print. The black printed as blue and the yellow printed as red and it still looked just like before, just the colors were wrong. I then did a medium clean and got a little black mixed with blue and a little yellow mixed with red. I finally did a powerful clean again. Now the black and yellow are back, but they still have blue and red laid down with them. Any ideas?
Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0247[1].jpg
    IMG_0247[1].jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 98

jeff412

I have the ink contamination cleared up but still having problems with the black ink. I've ordered some cleaning cartridges. Does anyone know the process for using them. I have searched until I'm blue in the face and can't find the procedure to use them.

Thanks,
Jeff

amw

Longtime Members
I have the ink contamination cleared up but still having problems with the black ink. I've ordered some cleaning cartridges. Does anyone know the process for using them. I have searched until I'm blue in the face and can't find the procedure to use them.

Thanks,
Jeff
Its in the owners manual.
Probably able to download a copy off rolands website.

Marsha

Wiggum PI

I'm not sure you can only flush one colour automatically, as the cleaning cartridges are only used in the shut down procedure for transport/storage as far as I can remember.

jeff412

I wouldn't mind flushing all four if it fixes the problem with the black. The more I print the better it gets, but there are still about 50% of the nozzles that don't spray right and only two that don't spray at all.

Jeff

jeff412

Its in the owners manual.
Probably able to download a copy off rolands website.

Marsha

Found it. Thanks. It just says, go to "Head Wash" and follow the instructions. Anyone ever done this? Will it completely empty all of the cleaning fluid out of the machine when it's done? How much ink am I going to waste?

Jeff

trimitbyrich

Just to warn you, we had that same problem. Turned out to be a blown head. We wound up having to replace both. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

amw

Longtime Members
Found it. Thanks. It just says, go to "Head Wash" and follow the instructions. Anyone ever done this? Will it completely empty all of the cleaning fluid out of the machine when it's done? How much ink am I going to waste?

Jeff
It should.
You will waste all the ink in the lines and dampers and then a little more when it flushes out the cleaning fluid.

We have done this a few times (to move the printer in odd positions) with no trouble.

Marsha

jeff412

Thanks guys. That is one of my concerns. If the head was bad, wouldn't I see printing issues in the cyan and black and not just the black?

Jeff

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Not necessarily. Although the head controls both channels, they are separated physically and electronically. It is very possible for one channel to be working perfect and the other not. You should try flushing the head and also back flushing it before laying down the money for a new one. If you do end up needing one, we have them at solventinkjet.com and offer free support.

jeff412

That would really suck if I had to buy a new head. I have run several print jobs through the machine and have seen a significant increase in print quality. The black nozzles have gone from 100% diverted with several dropouts to about 50% diverted with only two dropouts. I am very hopeful that a good flushing will solve it. If not, I'll be purchasing a new head. How can I check how many shots the head has?

Jeff

klingsdesigns

That would really suck if I had to buy a new head. I have run several print jobs through the machine and have seen a significant increase in print quality. The black nozzles have gone from 100% diverted with several dropouts to about 50% diverted with only two dropouts. I am very hopeful that a good flushing will solve it. If not, I'll be purchasing a new head. How can I check how many shots the head has?

Jeff

Think you can print it thru versaworks?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If the head seems to get better with time, that is a good sign. Most likely you just have some nozzles that are partially clogged and need to clear that debris.

trimitbyrich

Unfortunately it's the clogging issue that causes the head to go bad in the first place. They are extremely hard to flush out. Most never do. I'm not trying to be negative but I've been down this road, chasing these same problems because of them being down for literally weeks with no printer only to wind up replacing the bad head and losing thousands. Those heads are very touchy. Just be careful, even hard head washes that the machine is made to perform are very hard on the good head you may have left. I feel your pain man, that's a pretty frustrating thing to chase down.

jeff412

I'm beginning to think you're right. I've done several more prints, wasting ink, and I haven't seen any more improvement. I'm going to try pulling cleaning solution through the black/cyan head tonight. If that doesn't help, I'll just suck it up and order the new head.

Jeff