• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540V Printing Issues

jfiscus

Rap Master
A buddy is having troubles with his Roland, the lines look cross-contaminated to me, as both look the same color of yellow-orange. The test prints are showing major issues also.

The customer just recently had two different techs out to do service on the machine a month ago. One put in new capping stations, new wipers and maintenance kit. He also had the heads ultrasonic cleaned, and after that the printer was working great for a week, then he didn't use it for a week or so and came back to this mess.

I can take pictures with my cell if that would help with diagnosis, but that's the best I can do up here.

Where does everyone suggest starting at on this problem?
I haven't had to work on this machine for a couple years now so I am a bit rusty!
My cell is 513-200-3004 if anyone has experience with this printer!

Attachments

• capping station.jpg
    capping station.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 79

jfiscus

Rap Master
The Yellow/Magenta Capping Station(?Is this what it's called?) doesn't appear to be draining like the Cyan/Black one does. How do I check that out?

I know my photos suck, they're the best this Verizon phone can do.

Attachments

• wet cap.jpg
    wet cap.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 70

jfiscus

Rap Master
Here is a test print (again, I apologize about the fuzziness!)
The black looks a little funny and "oversprays" around some of the lines, but I have seen worse....

The Yellow and Cyan both are the exact same color on the sheet, but it looks like all nozzles are firing correctly. Where do I start checking or pulling ink/air through?

Attachments

• test print2.jpg
    test print2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 62

anozira02

It looks to me you may need to clean out the ink lines going to the waste jar. disconnect the line from the capping station and try to push some cleaning fluid through the lines with a syringe... and let the machine do a cpl. of head cleaning.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It looks to me you may need to clean out the ink lines going to the waste jar. disconnect the line from the capping station and try to push some cleaning fluid through the lines with a syringe... and let the machine do a cpl. of head cleaning.

I unplugged the lines and siphoned some through manually with a syringe. The yellow/magenta appeared to be clogged at first but is flowing good towards the waste now. I just did a medium cleaning & am now printing a large swatch of only magenta. The magenta line leading to the head is now "orange" compared to "only yellow" earlier.Some progress is being made!

phototec

I unplugged the lines and siphoned some through manually with a syringe. The yellow/magenta appeared to be clogged at first but is flowing good towards the waste now. I just did a medium cleaning & am now printing a large swatch of only magenta. The magenta line leading to the head is now "orange" compared to "only yellow" earlier.Some progress is being made!

Sounds good - keep us posted on how this goes!

Sorry I can't offer any help, but your feedback may help someone else in the future.

Good Luck

:smile:

rjssigns

How much ink is in the carts? Some 3rd party inks don't "inform" the printer they are empty and allow a backflush which contaminates the neighboring line.

OEM or 3rd party ink? If 3rd party the drain lines are clogging and hardening. Best bet is to replace them. The other issue may be a pump failure for the same reason.

phototec

OK - What is the status, did you get it working?????????????

:help

strypguy

I've had this problem a few times when the cartridges get low or empty. If it's not too bad you can do as you are and print some blocks of the contaminated color until it clears out. Check your cartridges to see if both or one of them is empty and change if needed or it will probably just happen again the next day.
I use oem inks and occasionally it still fails to tell me when one goes empty.
John

jfiscus

Rap Master
It was the capping stations, sorry I didn't get around a computer again until now... after the drain line was cleaned out going down to the pump I did the "ink pump up" once, then a medium cleaning and the mgenta ink tube started to look pink again. After that, I just printed some large magenta rectangles and watched them change from yellow to orange to pink!

He's back to printing great again, thanks to everyone here and the search function here telling me to try the capping station. I guess with incorrect suction one line can start flowing up into the other and causing contamination.
:U Rock::U Rock::U Rock::thankyou:

anozira02

Glad to hear you got it going! Those ink lines do get clogged especially if the printer is not in use for a few days..