• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540V - Scan motor?

Goatshaver

So last night my machine started sounding a little noisier than usual, specifically when the carriage moved back towards the start position when printing. I know the motor has been replaced in the past, whether the counter was reset I do not know. But my suspicion is the scan motor, it has 3800hrs on it according to the report, but like I said I know it was replaced because the old motor was with the machine when I bought it.

Could it be anything else? Just so I can check. Does anyone know what you can and cannot lubricate on these?

Thanks so much.

Jim Hill

I just changed a scan motor on my SP printer and it is very easy to do and there are video's for doing it.

It's usually a good idea to also change the encoder strip and the sensor that sit on top of the encoder strip at the same time you do the scan motor.

Jim

player

So last night my machine started sounding a little noisier than usual, specifically when the carriage moved back towards the start position when printing. I know the motor has been replaced in the past, whether the counter was reset I do not know. But my suspicion is the scan motor, it has 3800hrs on it according to the report, but like I said I know it was replaced because the old motor was with the machine when I bought it.

Could it be anything else? Just so I can check. Does anyone know what you can and cannot lubricate on these?

Thanks so much.
Get some super lube and grease the upper rails and bearings. Start by wiping down the rails and bearings. I use Bounty paper towels and 99% isopropyl. Use very little, apply with your finger with rubber gloves on. Do a small 4-6 inch section then move the head back and forth (machine off, carefully) beyond the grease to spread it around. Continue to do the whole length of the rails. Don't use too much. This should be done periodically. Wipe off any excess. You don't want it to drip down or contaminate the prints.

Last edited:

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I changed a motor on a Roland 640, the following day it started making noise. I ended up changing out the plastic drive gears and it fixed the problem.

Goatshaver

Get some super lube and grease the upper rails and bearings. Start by wiping down the rails and bearings. I use Bounty paper towels and 99% isopropyl. Use very little, apply with your finger with rubber gloves on. Do a small 4-6 inch section then move the head back and forth (machine off, carefully) beyond the grease to spread it around. Continue to do the whole length of the rails. Don't use too much. This should be done periodically. Wipe off any excess. You don't want it to drip down or contaminate the prints.

How did you grease the bearings? I feel like that sound is coming from the carriage. The bearing blocks have little brass fittings on the sides of them which to me took like greasing ports...could be wrong but thats what they look like. I have done the rail with a small amount of grease and it doesn't do much of anything.

Goatshaver

I changed a motor on a Roland 640, the following day it started making noise. I ended up changing out the plastic drive gears and it fixed the problem.

A tech suggested I try that first before buying a new motor since I'm not entirely sure what it causing the noise.

player

How did you grease the bearings? I feel like that sound is coming from the carriage. The bearing blocks have little brass fittings on the sides of them which to me took like greasing ports...could be wrong but thats what they look like. I have done the rail with a small amount of grease and it doesn't do much of anything.
Then just grease the rails.

hazartilirot

There might be many reasons:
- scan motor
- pulley (on the left and right sides). You should try to grease pair of bearings or change them. The part number 22175815. Try putting a drop of oil (take the same oil used for sewing machine). I suggest that you use a syringe with the oil. It would be more convenient to control amount of oil and easier to reach bearings with the syringe needle.

The 5th is bearing (see the attachment)

Two pulleys look like those
https://fex.net/uk/s/7yvzxxn
https://fex.net/uk/s/rltdnsd

Attachments

• IMG_20200209_080838.jpg
    IMG_20200209_080838.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

FrankW

Sometimes, specially if cutting off media often which is very stiff or with a blade which is worn out, the gear on the left side can wear out and make a kind of interval noise.

Most of the time the motor is the problem. The nominal life time of the carriage motor is about 2´000 hours. If you have 3´800 on the clock it could be that it is worn out.

Goatshaver

Just replaced the scan motor this morning and as soon as I spun the one that was in there I could tell that was the issue. Back to being quieter now and running. Thanks everyone!