• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300 Cap height and wiper grinding

The Giraffe

Hi all,

Curious about the cap height adjustment in service mode. It gives you a range of -2.00 to 2.00. What is the correct position? I've been getting some less than desired printing results and changed the cap tops. When I watch it through a cleaning cycle it runs the pump barely off the heads but I can still see fluid moving. I wonder if I'm getting substandard suction during cleanings.

While I was in maintenance mode I changed all dampers and wipers too. Now it's acting like the wipers are too long and it's hanging up (with a nice plastic grinding noise) on the way forward. My scraper is a shop made piece but drawn and cut to factory specs. Wiper checks good forward and backwards without scraper in place.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

anozira02

Hi all,

Curious about the cap height adjustment in service mode. It gives you a range of -2.00 to 2.00. What is the correct position? I've been getting some less than desired printing results and changed the cap tops. When I watch it through a cleaning cycle it runs the pump barely off the heads but I can still see fluid moving. I wonder if I'm getting substandard suction during cleanings.

While I was in maintenance mode I changed all dampers and wipers too. Now it's acting like the wipers are too long and it's hanging up (with a nice plastic grinding noise) on the way forward. My scraper is a shop made piece but drawn and cut to factory specs. Wiper checks good forward and backwards without scraper in place.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff
It is possible that the wiper is not seating all the way dawn...or it's the wrong size...

Jim Hill

Wiper Noise

I had a very similar wiper grinding sound the day the Roland Tech came out to change the encoder strip and he kept playing with the wiper trying to figure why it was hanging up and making the noise.

Then he ask me one question and that was if the wiper was an after market product and when I said yes he installed a genuine Roland wiper and no more noise.

Turns out the after market wiper is just a little thicker then the original Roland wiper and that was causing it to hand up each time it passer over the wiper making that gear grinding noise.

Hope that helps Jim

The Giraffe

I had a very similar wiper grinding sound the day the Roland Tech came out to change the encoder strip and he kept playing with the wiper trying to figure why it was hanging up and making the noise.

Then he ask me one question and that was if the wiper was an after market product and when I said yes he installed a genuine Roland wiper and no more noise.

Turns out the after market wiper is just a little thicker then the original Roland wiper and that was causing it to hand up each time it passer over the wiper making that gear grinding noise.

Hope that helps Jim

I expect that's going to help a ton. Will keep you posted.

Tony McD

Don't think it has anything to do with this, but I ordered new wipers a few weeks ago, and saw a wiper scraper in the parts list, so I ordered one.
Went to change it and the old scraper had a big chunk broken out of it, so it was good thing it got changed.

The Giraffe

Changed wipers and got rid of grinding. Came out of the same pack. Hmmmm.....

Scraper seem OK.

Fighting the black cyan head now. Test results are miserable and seem worse after cleanings.

Still want to figure what cap height should be.

Anybody?

GW

As per the service manual:

Move the cap upward to the position that the cap contacts exactly to the head, then press [ENTER] to update the adjustment value.

-When you press [up] key, the cap moves to the upward direction in 0.25 mm unit.

-When you press [down] key, the cap moves to the position in the setting value -2.00 mm.

-When you press
key, the adjustment value is not updated and the capping is carried out and then exiting the menu.​

phototec

As per the service manual:

Move the cap upward to the position that the cap contacts exactly to the head, then press [ENTER] to update the adjustment value.

-When you press [up] key, the cap moves to the upward direction in 0.25 mm unit.

-When you press [down] key, the cap moves to the position in the setting value -2.00 mm.

-When you press
key, the adjustment value is not updated and the capping is carried out and then exiting the menu.​

GW,

I have a SP-540v, I think it's the same as the 300, anyway I have never adjusted my cap height before, I need to change the cap tops and noticed you are suppose to adjust the cap height after installing new cap tops.

Your instructions are a little vague to me, can you give a little more detail on how to adjust the cap height?

You say "Move the cap upward to the position that the cap contacts exactly to the head, then press [ENTER] to update the adjustment value."

Are you saying to move the cap upward till it makes contact (by eye or does it stop by itself).

How do you determine what the height or gap should be when you make the adjustment?

Do you use any kind of feeler gage?

Thanks​

GW

GW,

I have a SP-540v, I think it's the same as the 300, anyway I have never adjusted my cap height before, I need to change the cap tops and noticed you are suppose to adjust the cap height after installing new cap tops.

Your instructions are a little vague to me, can you give a little more detail on how to adjust the cap height?

You say "Move the cap upward to the position that the cap contacts exactly to the head, then press [ENTER] to update the adjustment value."

Are you saying to move the cap upward till it makes contact (by eye or does it stop by itself).

How do you determine what the height or gap should be when you make the adjustment?

Do you use any kind of feeler gage?

Thanks

Yes, by eye - each time you press the up arrow, the cap moves up by 0.25. When it makes contact (visually), you hit "enter". At least, that's how I interpret it.

Cheers.