• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300 Dilemna

noregrets

Hiya guys and gals,

We have had our SP300 for a few months now - we bought it second hand. We have the option of transferring the warranty over for another two years but this is going to come at a price.

Firstly Roland have specified that we have to replace the (non faulty) scan motor, and secondly we are going to have to carry on the 6 monthly services which are not cheap.

I am pretty technical and am thinking of doing the servicing myself, and then getting the techs in for the complicated stuff on an as needed basis.

The reason why i am reluctant for the 6 monthly servicing is that we are far from a main centre and have to pay a lot for their 'travel expenses'

It seems that the cost of having the warranty voids any benefit that we would have with it, especially considering it is only parts that they would cover

The printer is 3 years old, but in very good shape.

What would you recommend?

Ken

Do you know how much usage the machine has? There is a way in the service menu to determine how many "shots" of ink have passed thru the heads. If you knew that it may help in your decision.
Ken

bigbly

I know what you mean, having to pay for somebody to come in and change the wipers etc every six months is stating to grate here too.. but I'm in town and see it as preventive maintenance, rather pay it than have a breakdown.
You should ask the guys over at http://printingdigital.net some of them are pretty handy at this kind of stuff..

noregrets

Do you know how much usage the machine has? There is a way in the service menu to determine how many "shots" of ink have passed thru the heads. If you knew that it may help in your decision.
Ken

Thanks Ken, there doesnt appear to be a service menu on my machine. Is this a hidden menu for the techs?

I know what you mean, having to pay for somebody to come in and change the wipers etc every six months is stating to grate here too.. but I'm in town and see it as preventive maintenance, rather pay it than have a breakdown.
You should ask the guys over at http://printingdigital.net some of them are pretty handy at this kind of stuff..

Cheers Bigbly, yeah I definately still want to do the preventative maintenance, but would like to do it myself if possible. Will also check out printingdigital.

Thanks!:U Rock:

bigbly

oh yeh it was choice bro
my wife to be comes from Auckland
we stayed on Waiheke Island where her mum lives
hopefully we can get over to queenstown this winter

Mason

noregrets,
there is a hidden menu that is accesible by the techs which will give all that sort of information, I watched recently when I had a pump failure and had to have the upgrade to the high volume pumps, which by the way apparently is a non recall recalled part. Roland replaces them at no cost to to you because they are aware of the problem but prefer to do so only when they fail according to the tech who replaced mine.