• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question SP300(V) Printing Issues - Cyan Ink Starvation / Black Overspray

DanK

My SP300 started acting up lately. While printing 4" CMYK test squares, I noticed that the cyan square had light coverage and minor overspray and the black square had overspray. I shook each ink cartridge and discovered that the cyan was empty. After replacing the cyan ink cartridge (OEM inks used for life of the printer), I performed a manual clean of the heads, wipers, and cap tops. I decided to replace the cyan/black cap top and primed it with cleaning solution. After running a medium clean, I reprinted the 4" CMYK test squares, but there was no change from the originals. Wondering if there was air in the system, I ran a powerful clean. Then I printed a full 8" strip of cyan at standard quality, but again no change from original (print was consistent across all 8"). I then printed a full 4" strip of black, but no change from original (it almost seems like there is cyan overspray). Finally I printed a full 8" strip of cyan, but this time at high quality and the coverage got worse. My next thought would be dampers, but with the horror stories I've heard about damper replacement I just wanted to get some other opinions first. Just to note, magenta and yellow are printing great.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Test Print.jpg
    Test Print.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 846
  • Cyan_Standard vs High.jpg
    Cyan_Standard vs High.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 559
  • Black_Overspray.jpg
    Black_Overspray.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 555

GTSTech_1

Easiest way to check for overspray (IMHO) is to go into Service Mode and do a "Fill pattern".......Looking at your nozzle check and it's possible that the K overspray is coming from the "Deflection" in the K channel. Do you know the shot count on the K/C head? A new head would cure both C and K overspray.

My .02

klingsdesigns

What is the humidity at in your shop? I have had static issues that cause that. But also a black head can cause overspray as well. Not sure on the cyan. Almost looks as if your calibration is a little off as well.

DanK

Static has been a bit of a concern with the weather in western NY; humidity is at around 30%. But there is definitely something else up with the cyan (see the attached service mode "Fill Pattern.jpg"). Cyan is showing signs of ink starvation, which is especially apparent when printed at standard and high quality (see attached "CYAN_High Quality vs Standard vs High Speed.jpg") - left square was printed at high quality, the middle at standard quality, and the right at high speed. The high speed print has the least amount of overspray and best coverage.

Even with the misses in the standard black test print (see original post), the service mode black fill pattern is reasonable, with little overspray and the expected hue. That being said, when I then print the 4" black squares I'm getting significantly different results, with different hues, between high quality, standard quality, and high speed (see attached "BLACK_High Quality vs Standard vs High Speed.jpg") - the top square was printed at high quality, the middle at standard quality, and the bottom at high speed.

I have noticed that the printer is stopping multiple times during each job to fill the dampers or at least that's what I think it's doing (the display continues to read "Now Processing"). I ran a visual check on the dampers and nothing looks out of the ordinary; the black and cyan dampers are just as full as the magenta and yellow dampers, no visible leaking. Just to note, I had run two powerful cleans prior to this most recent set of test prints thinking there may have been air in the line.

Shot counts are as follows: Count 1 - 566113KShots, Count 2 -1194095KShots, Count 3 - 1934528KShots, Count 4 - 1451058KShots.

Attachments

• Fill Pattern.jpg
    Fill Pattern.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 485
  • CYAN_High Quality vs Standard vs High Speed.jpg
    CYAN_High Quality vs Standard vs High Speed.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 460
  • BLACK_High Quality vs Standard vs High Speed.jpg
    BLACK_High Quality vs Standard vs High Speed.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 436
  • Service Report.jpg
    Service Report.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 465
  • Horizontal_BiDirect Test Print.jpg
    Horizontal_BiDirect Test Print.jpg
    929.4 KB · Views: 418

autoexebat

I had the same issue , 98% of the people said static / humidity etc .. It was the head ! Cyan is usually the first to go .

Sign Works

Experienced the same issue on my SP-300V, replaced the black/cyan print head with one from solventinkjet.com and it's printed beautifully ever since.

RAWE Michal

Static has been a bit of a concern with the weather in western NY; humidity is at around 30%. But there is definitely something else up with the cyan (see the attached service mode "Fill Pattern.jpg"). Cyan is showing signs of ink starvation, which is especially apparent when printed at standard and high quality (see attached "CYAN_High Quality vs Standard vs High Speed.jpg") - left square was printed at high quality, the middle at standard quality, and the right at high speed. The high speed print has the least amount of overspray and best coverage.

Even with the misses in the standard black test print (see original post), the service mode black fill pattern is reasonable, with little overspray and the expected hue. That being said, when I then print the 4" black squares I'm getting significantly different results, with different hues, between high quality, standard quality, and high speed (see attached "BLACK_High Quality vs Standard vs High Speed.jpg") - the top square was printed at high quality, the middle at standard quality, and the bottom at high speed.

I have noticed that the printer is stopping multiple times during each job to fill the dampers or at least that's what I think it's doing (the display continues to read "Now Processing"). I ran a visual check on the dampers and nothing looks out of the ordinary; the black and cyan dampers are just as full as the magenta and yellow dampers, no visible leaking. Just to note, I had run two powerful cleans prior to this most recent set of test prints thinking there may have been air in the line.

Shot counts are as follows: Count 1 - 566113KShots, Count 2 -1194095KShots, Count 3 - 1934528KShots, Count 4 - 1451058KShots.
How did you solve that problem? Thanks