• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sp300i Cutting Problem

mfa53

Hello, I have an SP300i model, I have been having a problem for the last 1 week. When cutting the media, when it cuts at the beginning, it does not cut completely as seen in the photo, but the cut gets smoother from the beginning to the middle. What do you think could be the cause?

Our cutting speed is at its latest setting, and it was fine until a week ago. We changed the cutting strip, changed the blade, updated the versaworks app. We cleaned the encoder strip, but if there are 180 stickers, it does not cut off part of the 1st sticker. Afterwards, it cuts 179 stickers without any errors. We did not change a single blade holder. However, we think that if there was a mistake in the knife holder, wouldn't there be a mistake in the other stickers?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Attachments

• photo_2023-09-24 02.22.55.jpeg
    photo_2023-09-24 02.22.55.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 106
  • photo_2023-09-24 02.22.56.jpeg
    photo_2023-09-24 02.22.56.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 59
  • photo_2023-09-24 02.24.56.jpeg
    photo_2023-09-24 02.24.56.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 61

cornholio

There is a small round rubber patch and a small setscrew, limiting the upper position of the pen/blade. Give it a drop of oil and you should be ok.

damonCA21

Sometimes it can just do this randomly on certain artwork, but not others. It just seems to miss the start position if it is very close to the edge.
An easy fix is normally just to put something on the artwork like a small black circle next to the first decal so the first cut is slightly further over, and this normally seems to fix it.

As an aside, I don't think it's actually a physical problem with the printer, it seems to be more software based

mfa53

Sometimes it can just do this randomly on certain artwork, but not others. It just seems to miss the start position if it is very close to the edge.
An easy fix is normally just to put something on the artwork like a small black circle next to the first decal so the first cut is slightly further over, and this normally seems to fix it.

As an aside, I don't think it's actually a physical problem with the printer, it seems to be more software based
Yes, I updated the program thinking it was a software problem. It acts as if the knife does not remove the blade when it first reaches the cutting point. I couldn't understand the reason. I think that when placing cut edges in the CorelDraw program, it does not read the first point of the points created.

damonCA21

Ah yes I use Corel too, it does seem to be an occasional problem. Sometimes if cutting a circle close to the edge it will miss the very edge of the cut. It only does it every now and again so I just learned to live with it

mfa53

It didn't get better, I leave 2 round cuts before printing. They also make this mistake and cut the other parts properly.

damonCA21

It didn't get better, I leave 2 round cuts before printing. They also make this mistake and cut the other parts properly.
It doesn't seem to be a software problem them if that isn't fixing it. It is most likely a problem with the cutting head then, sometimes if the solenoid is failing it can miss parts of the cut as the head doesn't lower when it should, but then does for the rest of the cut. Either that or the cut carriage board. There isn't really any way to fix these though, they need to be replaced. You can get used ones on ebay though

mfa53

It doesn't seem to be a software problem them if that isn't fixing it. It is most likely a problem with the cutting head then, sometimes if the solenoid is failing it can miss parts of the cut as the head doesn't lower when it should, but then does for the rest of the cut. Either that or the cut carriage board. There isn't really any way to fix these though, they need to be replaced. You can get used ones on ebay though
I changed the blade holder, the same problem persists. I will install Versaworks from scratch, I think there is a problem with the black mechanism that holds the blade holder.

damonCA21

There is a used one on Ebay at the moment in the UK. AFAIK you can't get them new from Roland anymore, and when you could they were very expensive !