• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300i: White lines when printing

Eric Lemay

Hi everyone !

For some time now, I have had a printing problem with my SP300i. As you can see in the image attached to the message, it has white lines.

The first time I noticed this problem was when I printed a mural about 2 months ago. I took care to clean it from top to bottom afterwards and the problem was gone. However, when printing another mural about 1 month ago, she did it again.

I had noticed that she used to do it on big prints over 2 yards and not on small prints. I then believed in a computer problem, of the kind too much data sent. However, now she still does. If I clean it up after one print, I may be lucky and it won't do it for 2-3 more prints, but I have no peace of mind and need to find the source of the problem. Where do you think this problem comes from?

I bought the used SP300i in September 2020. Once I got home, I called a technician. He changed the printhead from black and red, changed the wipers and foams for head cleaning. The only consumable part that had not been changed at this time was the encoder strip.

I have also attached a test print to the message.

Thank you !

203715469_4103300416412905_2962922621682991331_n.jpg

Attachments

• white lines.jpg
    white lines.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 254

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Although it doesn't look like typical drop out, I would start with changing out the dampers especially if they haven't been changed out in the last 12 to 24 months. The nozzle check looks fine other than a few deflecting nozzles in the black but that shouldn't affect the print too much. Also, make sure the head sin't dragging on anything while printing such as a swollen spit sponge, or even just ripples in the vinyl raising up and allowing the head to scrape across.

Terry01

What dpi are you printing and have you performed a printhead alignment? What does a print look like if printed at 720x720 or 720x1400 and what program are you using for your prints?
If you have versaworks, do a quick test print and see if there are any lines..

Last edited:

Eric Lemay

Although it doesn't look like typical drop out, I would start with changing out the dampers especially if they haven't been changed out in the last 12 to 24 months. The nozzle check looks fine other than a few deflecting nozzles in the black but that shouldn't affect the print too much. Also, make sure the head sin't dragging on anything while printing such as a swollen spit sponge, or even just ripples in the vinyl raising up and allowing the head to scrape across.
I'll start there since I don't know if they have been changed. Thank you !

Eric Lemay

What dpi are you printing and have you performed a printhead alignment? What does a print look like if printed at 720x720 or 720x1400 and what program are you using for your prints?
If you have versaworks, do a quick test print and see if there are any lines..
All settings and alignments has been done by the technician when I bought the printer. He also changed some parts. I print almost everytime vector files that I work into Illustrator, and I prepare my "ready to print" files via Illustrator too, before adding them into VersaWorks. When I must work bitmap files, I do it via Photoshop, I try to always stay between 72-300dpi depending on the final size to avoid big, big file size. I'm printing since September 2020, everything was fine until 2 months ago. The printer just started to do this randomly.

Terry01

Do this test to verify your printer is printing the correct colors with no bands...I think you will find it is the vector file that is the problem

Attachments

• IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 134

Eric Lemay

Do this test to verify your printer is printing the correct colors with no bands...I think you will find it is the vector file that is the problem
I did the test last day , the test came out great, but if I look really close I can see minors, minors lines into the black but nothing agressive. I did a full clean before doing the test.

Thank you !