• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300V Unrecoverable limit sensor error?

geckophoto

OK, I just put in a new linear encoder board and have a new strip but not installed yet. I have had the problem of the machine giving me the 0101/Service error and can not complete the Linear Encoder set up so I bought the strip and board.

When I just put in the board now it says to do a cleaning by pressing the power button. I then restarted it and went into service mode to do the Linear Encoder set up, as before I start the LIMIT INITIALIZE MENU/MOVE TO CAP POS/ and then I see the caps go up into the print heads, then the next step it goes to SETTING UP CUTTER DOWN POS....this is where I then get the UNRECOVERABLE LIMIT SENSOR ERROR AND THE MACHINE STOP. It does not unlock the cutter section so I can move just the cutter all the way to the left. Does the cutter move alone or does it have to move with the print heads too? I got it to once before unlock and I pushed the cutter to the left and completed the set up but actually went to do it another time afterwards and the cutter did not unlock then.

1-What is giving me the UNRECOVERABLE LIMIT SENSOR ERROR?

2- Is it likely the encoder strip? I cleaned it off before but I guess nest step is to repalce it?

3- If the LIMIT SENSOR ERROR is the problem and it is needing replaced what/where is it? I don't want to replace the encoder strip if it is not the problem.

Thanks for help!

rjssigns

You have to make sure the encoder strip is running dead center through the sensor gap. You just can't remove the old one and plop the new one in place and call it good.
My SP540V did all kinds of weird stuff and would not complete the calibrations before I centered the strip.

geckophoto

Also NOW on machine start up it wants me to hit the POWER button to do a cleaning before the machine even boots all the way up, then it goes into the 0101 error. I then reboot it and try the Limit Initialization without doing the cleaning and it does not unlock the cutter head and I get the Limit Sensor Unrecoverable error...feel like I'm walking in circles! Any idea who a tech is in SW FL in case I need somebody to come and work on it? I will try most myself that is easy to fix first...

geckophoto

Hmmmm...well just put in NEW encoder strip and the encoder board and it does not seem to make a difference. Made sure strip is centered between the encoder board sensors etc...I still get to the step where I have to move my cutter section to the far left but it does no disengage from the print head.

I then get the 0101 error after it tries to set up the CUTTER DOWN POS. The cutter will not unlock so I can move it.....is there an issue with the Limit Sensor or the Head Lock sensor?

geckophoto

OK SUCCESS! I looked at this video and got it to work some how:

AS I did the limit procedure I got to the Cutter Down POS step and the cutter did not unlock...at this step I then pushed the print head/cutter all the way to the right and heard one CLICK locking it there. I then shut the system down and restarted the Limit Initialization again..this time on the Cutter Down POS step the print head was locked to the RIGHT side and the magnet disengaged the cutter and I was able to complete the steps. For some reason my print head was not locking to the right side????

The service manual never said anything about moving the print head back to the right to lock it in. Also I read somewhere that now when I have the Press Power To Clean on start up if I take the battery out it will reset or turn that off some how, I have not turned it back on to check if it is still doing it but just happy it got to Initialize again and print a perfect nozzle check after 1 month of not running. I did every week soak caps with cleaning fluid to help not clog up while troubleshooting!

Another tip I learned myself..when replacing the Encoder strip, with no holes since I got the cheap one on ebay I cut to size, measure it with the old one on top and use a sharp awl to poke a hole in it with a cork under it. Then when you try to put the screw back thru it dont PUSH it thru but rather SCREW it thru the hole you just punched then attach it to the metal holders.

YAY....no service tech call needed today!!!!!

Connie Fry

OK SUCCESS! I looked at this video and got it to work some how:

AS I did the limit procedure I got to the Cutter Down POS step and the cutter did not unlock...at this step I then pushed the print head/cutter all the way to the right and heard one CLICK locking it there. I then shut the system down and restarted the Limit Initialization again..this time on the Cutter Down POS step the print head was locked to the RIGHT side and the magnet disengaged the cutter and I was able to complete the steps. For some reason my print head was not locking to the right side????

The service manual never said anything about moving the print head back to the right to lock it in. Also I read somewhere that now when I have the Press Power To Clean on start up if I take the battery out it will reset or turn that off some how, I have not turned it back on to check if it is still doing it but just happy it got to Initialize again and print a perfect nozzle check after 1 month of not running. I did every week soak caps with cleaning fluid to help not clog up while troubleshooting!

Another tip I learned myself..when replacing the Encoder strip, with no holes since I got the cheap one on ebay I cut to size, measure it with the old one on top and use a sharp awl to poke a hole in it with a cork under it. Then when you try to put the screw back thru it dont PUSH it thru but rather SCREW it thru the hole you just punched then attach it to the metal holders.

YAY....no service tech call needed today!!!!!
I'm having a similar problem with my Versacamm 540i. I get a service call message 0103 - so push the right left up buttons plus power and go into the limit setting mode. I lock in the head on the right side then push enter to start the process. The cutter moves over about 3 inches and then I get a service call message 0102. Any ideas?

geckophoto

I would first start by cleaning the encoder strip and with canned air dust off the sensor too. Use alcohol pads to clean it. Also move your pinch rollers to other areas my machine would work at times when I did this but failed eventually I got a new strip and encoder sensor, put it in and it still failed till I found the video about moving the head to the right till it locked in while I think the cutter side was disengaged. For some reason when I did the initialize the head was not in proper location and I got the error.

Here are your codes:
0102 Head Lock Sensor Error

Even though the machine carries out the regular movement, the output of the Head Lock Synsor doesn't detect the print carriage Head Lock Sensor does not work correctly or is broken.

1) Run sensor check in Service mode (print carriage home position) «H»

must turn on and off.

2) Head Lock Sensor Replacement

3) Check the mechanical backlash in the scan motor gears.

0103 Limit Sensor Error

Even though the machine carries out the regular movement, the output of the Limit Sensor does detect the cutter carriage home. Limit Sensor does not work correctly or is broken.

1) Run sensor check in service mode. "O" must turn on and off

2) Limit Sensor Replacement

3) Check the mechanical Backlash in the scan

geckophoto

I'm having a similar problem with my Versacamm 540i. I get a service call message 0103 - so push the right left up buttons plus power and go into the limit setting mode. I lock in the head on the right side then push enter to start the process. The cutter moves over about 3 inches and then I get a service call message 0102. Any ideas?

Did you manually move the cutter all the way over to the left?

geckophoto

I also took the cover off on the right side and put a swab stick in the switch so I could watch all the movements while testing with the cover off. Just make sure the caps go back on the heads so the don’t sit exposed if you are shut down, don’t dry them out. I put about 3 drops of cleaner on caps before setting heads every few days. Put too much in and it will seep UP into the heads and ink will go up in the wrong color side and give you bad prints till you clean/flush it back out or run several test prints.

Barrabas89

What Battery you are referring too. PLease let me know, I already did everything

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
What Battery you are referring too. PLease let me know, I already did everything
There is a battery on the board, I believe it's the main board (Been a few years since I last replaced one). It's one of those flat circle ones.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Make sure you're getting the head carriage locked before proceeding with the limit position. It's easy to think it's locked when it isn't. You need to gently push the carriage to the right until the lock clicks and then stop. If you push it all the way to the right, it will lock and then unlock and then the limit position will fail. I usually push it to the left to make sure it's actually locked before proceeding. This is something a lot of people miss.