• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540 Black head printing randomly

Kevie

Hello Guys, I have had this persistent problem with the black head laying down a random pattern when printing. It is not all the time but occurs sporadically.
I have had a tech out twice... at first they thought it was the main board which they replaced... no difference so they refitted the original then cleaned and refitted all ribbon connectors... Viola! all sweet again until about a month later when it all started again.
This time I reseated them myself after cleaning with electronic cleaner but one of the strips subsequently shorted and took out the yellow/magenta head so I got the tech back to fit a new head and two new connector strips. All back to normal for another three weeks before it all starts over again.
I know that the humidity here in Queensland is a big problem but the aircon always runs when the printer is going. Still, the dampness permeates into everything I suppose.
The trouble is that I cannot put my finger on the exact location of the problem.
Any ideas??? There must be a wealth of experience out there...

Attachments

• IMG_20131229_171006.jpg
    IMG_20131229_171006.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 78

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
I had the same issue with the blue side and the error is on the main board, I am re-installing it for the third time in 15 min to see if it got fixed this time.

Check the ribbon cables from the carriage board to the print head. Otherwise probably main board.

Kevie

I had the same issue with the blue side and the error is on the main board, I am re-installing it for the third time in 15 min to see if it got fixed this time.

Check the ribbon cables from the carriage board to the print head. Otherwise probably main board.

Hello Dukebrown... Thank you for the tips. I have had this machine for seven years now and it still confounds me. Oh for the old days when the brush ruled and the only technology that mattered was between your ears... This New Years I will have been signwriting for fifty one years and computers still frustrate me (I have a son who is an IT engineer but I have to make am appointment to see him... go figure)
Anyway I am rambling (caused by too many birthdays)... I took every ribbon off the boards and sprayed the sockets and connectors with electronic cleaning solvent.
...all is sweet again and working perfectly (till next time).

How did you go?

Cheers
Kevie