• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sp540 no yellow or magenta

mrsoliver

First yellow dropped out, did a manual cleaning and everything was fine. Then a few prints later both yellow and magenta dropped. Cleaned heads, cap station clean, check to see if ink was coming out of pump OK, dampners replaced last month, used a syringe to pull ink though lines OK. Still not a drip of yellow or magenta. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

On the Roland SP series, Yellow and Magenta inks share one head (head 2). It seems that you have looked at the plumbing-related issues, and not found the source of the problem. The would leave the electrical side of the machine.

I'd check the printhead fuses on the mainboard to see if one is blown. If they're not, you could temporarily swap the data ribbon cables from head 1 (black and cyan) to head two and head 2 to head 1 and see if the problem follows che change or not. This will help determine what component(s) might be at fault - if any.

A word to the wise: If you are not comfortable with doing these diagnostic procedures yourself, I would strongly recommend bringing a qualified service engineer in to perform the repairs. You could easily make the situation much worse (and more expensive) if you are not very careful.

mrsoliver

Thank for the quick reply. I have had such bad exp with service tech that I only use as a last resort. It does seem as plumbing is ok. I took a look at the main board and do not see any fuses. There are two fuses on the power junction board which are ok. Are those the ones you are talking about? If you were going to change cables where which ones would you change at the head or the main board - thanks Scott

mrsoliver

Sp540 no yellow magenta black cyan

Update - I tried crossing the cables and same problem so the problem is not electrical - cleaned everything really good and did a powerful head cleaning and now I have no ink printing - this is kicking my ass so bad I even called my service tech who did not answer the phone - the jobs are piling up - any ideas would be greatly appreciated - the yellow and magenta disappeared after a powerful clean also - thanks Scott

Sabre

I dont know if this would be so elementary that it's not worth posting... But have you checked both of your carts? Whenever we get a "wierd" problem, we always check the carts first now... We had a couple goof-ups in a row that all came back to empty ink that the machine didn't warn us about.

Hopefully your head isn't gone :( Sorry I couldn't be more help, our 540 has been pretty solid for us.

Good luck!

cdiesel

Usually I would think this is a cap top not sealing, but if you're able to pull ink through with a syringe, that should be okay.
Are they not printing at all, or are they printing and then failing?

mrsoliver

Sp540 no yellow magenta black cyan

Update - still no ink - have talked with service guy and at this point everyone is at a loss - can pull ink from both heads with a syringe - thanks Scott

High Octane

Try pouring cleaning solution into the capping stations...keep filling as the capping stations soak up solution....let it set and try it.

If you didn't unplug your printer before swapping cable NOW you have blown fuses!
RULE #1 ALWAYS UNPLUG the machine first before doing any electrical work
The fuses are about the size of a grain of rice and you can damage the board if you don't know what you're doing. Call your local Roland Tech

Ken

As an SP300 user, I am interested in your solution..please keep us apprised of developments with this problem.
Thanks, Ken

DRamm76

I agree with Ken..As I am reading down this page I am thinking of what my suggestion would be..then I see someone post it and then I see how it didn't help. I'm anxious to see what this turns out to be...How much use do you get out of the machine?

Velocity

ive had a similar issue and it could be ugly. where the ink comes in the lines and enters a plastic blatter above the head. check to make sure is full of ink.

the problem we had is the pin or nipple that the blatter or dampener sits on was cracked at the base (Top of the Print Head) and air was being introduced into the system.

We had to replace the heads.

Hopefully this isnt your problem but it sounds frighteningly familiar

txsurfer

make a large magenta box and print it until it comes up to color, you are contamintated it may take 10ft

NCSignTech

As Castek Resources stated

"You could easily make the situation much worse (and more expensive) if you are not very careful.

If you are able to siphon ink via captop, it's not a supply issue. If you removed or inserted the ribbon cables on the print head while the printer was plugged in, as previously mentioned you blew a fuse. Cables must be swapped in pairs and in the same order. If possible you need to locate a tech that has the ability to replace the fuses and not just swap out the main board. You may even have a shorted head if you dropped any ink into ribbon connector on the print head or a bad ribbon cable.

This forum is a great source of information, but you are at a point that you need professional help. The main board can usually be repaired with new fuses. Now that you have no signal to either head it is impossible to troubleshoot without replacing them.

Sounds like this may have been repaired by replacing a $25.00 cap top. If they are over 6 months replace them. The ink system is not pressurized. If you don't have good seal around cap tops / heads, the pump will not be able to pull ink from the cartridge, ink lines, dampers, manifolds and then into the heads resulting in drop out.

One thing I forgot to ask...do you have the new style pump on your SP540?? The old style pumps wouldn't last very long, get holes in the hoses and stop either the black/cyan or magenta/yellow (each set is on their own lines in the pump). You may simply have a bad pump...but if you have the new style then I doubt it's the pump. If you hook a syringe to the (mag/yellow) cap hose and draw air then you have a bad cap...or you are getting air introduced into the lines from somewhere...ie the ink lines have o-rings that go bad at times....but the syringe method is the best way to diagnose problems.

stillhasdust

it sounds like the fuses to me...Which luckly are inexpensive...The fuses are about $7 ea and I have a guy in my area that fixes eletrical boards in xboxs, ps3, amps, and etc. and he charges me $10 a piece to solder the old ones off and put the new ones on.

mrsoliver

If any is interested - the problem was a bad head that shorted out the fuse on the main board - replaced fuses and print head ready to go - thanks for the help Scott

vvv123

how do you siphon ink with a syringe. I heard of this method but not exactly sure on how to do this? This might sound stupid but how do you do this. take off the right panel then what?