• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540i - banding

Colin

I'm not too concerned about this because it's just some short term decals that are going to be stuck on election signs, but I'm wondering why I'm getting some banding on this solid red; never before experienced. I've cleaned the heads twice, and there is no debris/lint anywhere.

Media: TruStock matte
Profile: MCVP: Matte Cal Vinyl (ESM)
Roland spot color
High Speed (360x720)
Direction: Bi-Directional
Preset: Sign & Display
Print temp: 38
Dry temp: 44

*No, this isn't mounted to coroplast, but it looks like it.

Attachments

• P1000685.JPG
    P1000685.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 108

Colin

Both settings only improved it ever so slightly; still noticable.

I noticed that when I checked "Bi-Linear" I could not set the head speed to 700, it would go back to the default of 609.

:help

Colin

No change.

I wonder if it has something to do with the temp. Too hot maybe, and it's drying too fast? shrug

Custom_Grafx

Mine does that on some reds too... very annoying.

Try using a profile that has more passes, and one that has less passes. For some reason, on mine, the 8 pass does it, but the 6 and 12 pass doesn't... go figure.

have my temp set at 38c print and 42c dry. also try the cmyk(v) w pass option(instead of cmyk(v) pass) and slow the head speed down to around 600.

depending on what you have your settings at they can be greyed out. try using the bi linear option then open up the cmyk box to see if you can then select the setting you need.

Colin

As we speak, I'm done with the job, but may get an order for more in the next day or two. I'd sure like figure this out though.

messmedia

I do not know if SP have feed calibration settings in it's menu? - My RS 640 have, and it is there to make banding disappear!
When it comes to high speed printing though - it helps, but banding is definitely there (only on highest speeds. eg generic vinyl 1 - highspeed).

Also, change in air humidity and temperature of enviroment matters, A LOT! So, if Your work enviroment changed lately, and You did not turn your conditioner/s on - it could influence the prints (actually, drying time) so U need to adjust/change print, dry temp, or both.

Slowing down printing can also help. Weather by printing on higher quality settings, or actualy slowing down speed of head-movement (there is an option in VersaWorks for it).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Out of curiosity..... is that TruStock matte an actual digital desired media ??

Or is it just some intermediate regular old vinyl ??​

splizaat

Im surprised no one has even considered telling you to switch media all together. Print the same thing on another brand vinyl and see if it goes away....our printer bands on certain vinyl SOMETIMES even with the specific profile for that media...so we switch vinyl and it's gone. Some vinyl just sucks...

Colin

Im surprised no one has even considered telling you to switch media all together. Print the same thing on another brand vinyl and see if it goes away....our printer bands on certain vinyl SOMETIMES even with the specific profile for that media...so we switch vinyl and it's gone. Some vinyl just sucks...

I'll try that with all the same settings, but like I said in the O/P, I wasn't too concerned about this as it wasn't a job that mattered that much, but I wanted to know why, for future jobs which would matter. It is a cheap vinyl.