• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sp540i encoder strip

chevylane

Good afternoon folks,

Does anybody know where/how to access the encoder strip on a versacamm sp540i? After hours and hours of reading through the forum I have not come across this specific info. Also, just so I am not wasting my time and ruining my machine, will cleaning the encoder strip help correct an overspray problem I'm having with cyan?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

rjssigns

Encoder strip will be found just above the carriage guide rail. You're looking for a thin, vertical strip of plastic that runs almost the length of the machine. Use a flashlight as its dark under the cover.

If you've never cleaned it then it needs to be done. Simple way to clear up print defects. I use a micro-fiber cloth slightly dampened with IPA.

chevylane

It appears that the encoder strip is tucked in up and behind the rail the head carriage travels on. Am I supposed to blindly swipe back there with a lint-free cloth and alcohol? or is there a way to take it apart so i can see what i'm doing?

rjssigns

No need to take anything apart unless you're replacing the encoder strip. It's an awkward reach to be sure, but once you've done it a few times you develop a feel. You can always kneel or crouch and use a flashlight to see what you're doing.