• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540v image warping - fuzzy printing

SRS

My sp540v is printing a map but is warping the edges of a rectangular image to look pin-cushion effect and text surrounding the map frame becomes fuzzy. Thought initially it may be Versaworks as it updated when I opened it, but found FlexiSign also printed the image with fuzzy warp effect. Any help appreciated, I'm curious to learn if it is some form of hardware failure? Cheers!

Ragnabrok

Without a picture it sounds like the encoder strip is dirty. encoder strip is the ~1/2 inch tall strip of clearish plastic behind the steel cable that pulls the carriage back and forth. Clean both sides gently with a soft, non linting cloth like a blue shopcloth and isopropyl alcohol.

MikePro

Without a picture it sounds like the encoder strip is dirty. encoder strip is the ~1/2 inch tall strip of clearish plastic behind the steel cable that pulls the carriage back and forth. Clean both sides gently with a soft, non linting cloth like a blue shopcloth and isopropyl alcohol.
+1 to this... DON'T use anything else, as printer solution will burn it and windex leaves residue. Some ink spots may take a little extra love, but be gentle.

o and post pix, helps a ton.

SRS

Yes, you guys nailed it! Funny little thing. I was also lucky to hear back from a very busy tech guy who also told me it can be flipped upside down and end to end because the part is supposedly worth $400. My encoder strip was wore clear in some areas along the top. The initial cleaning gave me consistant registers of 0.00mm 3x which appears fine, but it still printed warped. After flipping the encoder strip I got a consistant 0.42mm and looks good to go. Hopes it lasts long enough to retire on LOL!

ChiknNutz

Good to hear that's what it was. The encoder strip is what I would have recommended as well. We had about 4 yrs on my printer before we did have to replace it. YMMV.