• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sp540v - ink drain, slow?

vsmartino

Ive noticed recently that my SP540v doesn't really fill the drain bottle much. If I do a cleaning (just a standard one by holding "cleaning" while the printer is on) the bottle will receive some inks but otherwise I'm not sure there is ink actually draining into it on its own when it wakes from sleep and cleans.

Nothing seems clogged and my printer prints incredibly well still.

Anything I should be worried about? The caps are new (within a month) and I've replaced the lines for them so I know they're not clogged. The pump also actuates and seems to flow ink well. The bottle is just under a half full and it's been about 4 months. Maybe I'm just not printing enough? I have been doing more cutting in the past couple months vs printing.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would just do a thorough cleaning and flush the pump tubes. Make sure the wipers are nice and clean and not bloated or warped to the point that the wiper can't slide evenly across the head. Clean the cap tops but also look underneath the head where the cap top meets up with the head and clean the ink build up from there while avoiding the nozzle area. Make sure to clean the chrome metal part around the bottom of the head. Then usually I would disconnect the cap tops from the y connector, fill the cap tops with cleaning solution and pull it through with a syringe through each. Then push a syringe of solution through the pump and into the waste tank. This will make sure nothing is partially clogged and flush out some of the gunk that builds up. If your nozzle check looks good and ink flows to the tank when you run a cleaning cycle, you should be good.

vsmartino

I would just do a thorough cleaning and flush the pump tubes. Make sure the wipers are nice and clean and not bloated or warped to the point that the wiper can't slide evenly across the head. Clean the cap tops but also look underneath the head where the cap top meets up with the head and clean the ink build up from there while avoiding the nozzle area. Make sure to clean the chrome metal part around the bottom of the head. Then usually I would disconnect the cap tops from the y connector, fill the cap tops with cleaning solution and pull it through with a syringe through each. Then push a syringe of solution through the pump and into the waste tank. This will make sure nothing is partially clogged and flush out some of the gunk that builds up. If your nozzle check looks good and ink flows to the tank when you run a cleaning cycle, you should be good.

In terms of cleaning all of that has/is done on a regular and my nozzle check print results out good for the heads age.
New caps are also spotless clog wise. I also, every so often, let some solution sit in them and drain out.

The only thing i've never done is use a syringe to push/pull some solution through the pump. That's something I'll give-a-go, will need to pick one up.

Thanks for the feedback!

rjssigns

Had an SP540V for more than ten years. It took a long time to fill the purge bottle. I'd empty mine once or twice a year.

vsmartino

Had an SP540V for more than ten years. It took a long time to fill the purge bottle. I'd empty mine once or twice a year.

Interesting. It's been so long since I've had a 540 that I can't remember how long they would take to fill. The XR640s I recently had used at my previous employer would fill quite often, albeit we did a lot of printing.

rjssigns

Interesting. It's been so long since I've had a 540 that I can't remember how long they would take to fill. The XR640s I recently had used at my previous employer would fill quite often, albeit we did a lot of printing.

Had it set for 12 hour intervals. My new Mutoh uses more per purge and thats set for 12 hours too. Nature of the beast. Rather use a bit more ink than have to replace a printhead.

hand851

Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com
Don't push through the pump.All systems are working. Keep upon the good maintenance you are doing.