• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540V print problem

signsthatimpact

I am getting 1.) a smeared double print about every 8 inches or so and the print looks like its shifting and not printing straight when it comes out of the printer. 2. I am getting a red and green line on my prints, usually the first few inches when it starts to print on the media.

I have changed my bi-directional to uni and did several cleaning (ie... normal and powerful) along with using the swabs. I havent used any solution yet because i ran out.

Is there anything anyone can recommend?? I know I need the solution to do a more thorough clean too.

I was told it might have something to do with the encoder scale.

What do you think??

BTW::: i've only had the printer for a year and i bought it with an existing business so I am fairly new to this.

zmatalucci

yes, remove the top and side panels. there is a clear strip that sits inside the rail that the print head runs across. wipe that w/ the cloth&alcohol..make sure you dont leave the strip out of the track as it can become dis-lodged

signsthatimpact

thanks... i did that using alcohol and paper towels... it helped for a couple prints but continues to do the same.. do these encoder scales go out??

cdiesel

The encoder strips can go bad. You may also want to clean the encoder strip sensor. A little alcohol and lint free cloth works there too. You can also flip the encoder strip over (the printers only read the top, so it can be flipped over to use the bottom). Just make sure that the holes stay in the same places.

signsthatimpact

@ cdiesel.... are there any manuals for this printer so i can do that?? I only have the User's manual, quick start, and setup guide. Is there anything else I can get?? thanks

cdiesel

I don't know for sure (I don't have that printer), but if you search here or on Google I'm sure you can find something.

threeputt

Perform a search on this forum. I think someone even posted some photos at one time.

At any rate the job's not hard to do. Just work methodically. And don't scratch the strip when cleaning it. Use a cloth, not a paper towel.

Keep fingerprints off of it too. Re-install.

You should be good to go if that's the problem. I find that the sensor is a bit harder to get to, though, than the strip itself.