Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP540V print problem

Discussion in 'Roland' started by signsthatimpact, Jun 30, 2010.

1. signsthatimpact

signsthatimpact New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    I am getting 1.) a smeared double print about every 8 inches or so and the print looks like its shifting and not printing straight when it comes out of the printer. 2. I am getting a red and green line on my prints, usually the first few inches when it starts to print on the media.

I have changed my bi-directional to uni and did several cleaning (ie... normal and powerful) along with using the swabs. I havent used any solution yet because i ran out.

Is there anything anyone can recommend?? I know I need the solution to do a more thorough clean too.

I was told it might have something to do with the encoder scale.

What do you think??

BTW::: i've only had the printer for a year and i bought it with an existing business so I am fairly new to this.

Tags:
  2. zmatalucci

zmatalucci Premium Subscriber

clean your encoder strip w/ alcohol and a lint free cloth

3. signsthatimpact

Jun 16, 2010
    im not exactly sure what part that is. but is it the clear strip??

4. signsthatimpact

Jun 16, 2010
    oh and one more thing... im getting banding on my prints

5. zmatalucci

zmatalucci Premium Subscriber

yes, remove the top and side panels. there is a clear strip that sits inside the rail that the print head runs across. wipe that w/ the cloth&alcohol..make sure you dont leave the strip out of the track as it can become dis-lodged

6. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    yes it is the clear strip.

7. signsthatimpact

Jun 16, 2010
    thanks... i did that using alcohol and paper towels... it helped for a couple prints but continues to do the same.. do these encoder scales go out??

8. cdiesel

cdiesel Very Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The encoder strips can go bad. You may also want to clean the encoder strip sensor. A little alcohol and lint free cloth works there too. You can also flip the encoder strip over (the printers only read the top, so it can be flipped over to use the bottom). Just make sure that the holes stay in the same places.

9. signsthatimpact

Jun 16, 2010
    @ cdiesel.... are there any manuals for this printer so i can do that?? I only have the User's manual, quick start, and setup guide. Is there anything else I can get?? thanks

10. cdiesel

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't know for sure (I don't have that printer), but if you search here or on Google I'm sure you can find something.

11. signsthatimpact

Jun 16, 2010
    ok thanks a million

12. Fatboy

Fatboy Very Active Member

You can download the service manual for free from the premium section.

13. vikcho

vikcho Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Check out the pinch rollers. They might have worn out.

14. cdiesel

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pinch rollers?

15. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Perform a search on this forum. I think someone even posted some photos at one time.

At any rate the job's not hard to do. Just work methodically. And don't scratch the strip when cleaning it. Use a cloth, not a paper towel.

Keep fingerprints off of it too. Re-install.

You should be good to go if that's the problem. I find that the sensor is a bit harder to get to, though, than the strip itself.