• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540V ran out of ink... no spare cartridge... am I doomed?

signmeup

Ran out of ink and I don't have a spare cartridge. It's a holiday tomorrow (Wednesday) so I can't order any more until Thursday and I won't see it until Friday. Is this going to be bad?

Adrian

signmeup

OK... I plugged the drain tube and filled the caps with cleaning fluid. Do I have to do that once a day or will it hold until Friday?

I may get paranoid and drive to the city Thursday morning to buy ink...

Adrian

player

Just keep the heads wet. If you keep the printer on the pump will come on, so probably turn off the printer.

I would get the ink as soon as possible.

signmeup

I just filled them with cleaning fluid and turned the printer off at the main switch. I'll check it again in the morning.

Adrian

player

I just filled them with cleaning fluid and turned the printer off at the main switch. I'll check it again in the morning.

Adrian

How full is the other cartridge? Sometimes when one cart is low and the other is full you can get the suck back thing. If you have the other colour in an empty cart I would put it in. Then swap it back before power up so it doesn't mess with your ink count.

DRamm76

Rule of thumb.
Always have one on the shelf for every one in the machine. If you are able to burn through a entire Yellow ink in a day or the time it will take to get one replaced on an SP-540V I would suggest getting a more production based model or using 440ml inks

signmeup

Rule of thumb.
Always have one on the shelf for every one in the machine. If you are able to burn through a entire Yellow ink in a day or the time it will take to get one replaced on an SP-540V I would suggest getting a more production based model or using 440ml inks

I will in future... and they are 440 ml cartridges. The printer is new to me and it didn't warn me the magenta was low. It warned me for a week that the yellow was low so I assumed it was watching all the colours. It wasn't.

The ink ran out yesterday at 4pm and it's a national holiday today so it added to my anxiety. I can't get any more ink until tomorrow.

Adrian

signmeup

Back in business! I had to suck 2 syringes worth out of the magenta/yellow drain line to get all 4 colours back into the test print but I'm good to go now!

Thanks for the help! :thumb:

Adrian

signmeup

Spoke too soon. Now it won't print anything but the test print. Says printer is online and ready to print. Just doesn't print. I suppose I'll need to start another thread...

Adrian

signmeup

Here's how it went: "Drove to Halifax. Bought $400 worth of ink. Installed ink. Sucked ink out through syringe. Basically spent day f’ing with printer. Got printer to print... proper colours and all.

Started Aqua Valley printjob. Printed 1”. Stopped dead. Now won’t print anything except test print. WTF!? Says printer is online and ready to print. Pissed off. Having beer.

I’m about ready to step in front of a bus."

Then I noticed (not sure why) that the little light on the thumb drive plugged into the rip computer wasn blinking. It always blinks. I pulled it and tried the big test print. It printed. WTF? It somehow had corrupted the whole shamozzle. A stinking thumb drive! It's printing along just great now. I love my printer... (twitch)

Adrian