• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540V slow printing (head stops at each end for few seconds)

Nismoasfuh

Hey guys, I know this thread has been discussed before, but it has happened to me and I can't seem to find any information to alleviate the problem. So the story is that everything was working fine until my shop lost power for a few seconds. When the power came back the Roland would print EXTREMELY SLOW. it would make a single pass, then stop for about 10 seconds then the head will go to the other side, and do the same thing. I luckily only had one emergency job today and was able to deal with it printing slowly. But all the answers seem to be pointing to a network/router issue. I have already turned off and turned on the router with no improvements, are there any other things I can possibly try before digging into the pockets and getting a tech to come and help. Thank you!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Hook a cable directly from your computer to your printer and try to print something. If you have an operating system that is windows XP or lower you will need a cross over cable for this but if you have a newer version any Ethernet cable will do. If the printer prints fine, your router is probably cooked. If it does the exact same thing, there could be electrical damage to the printer possibly.

Note: If your computer has a dynamic IP address you may have to go in and change it to static to connect to the printer. If it is already static, plugging the cable in should just work.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
I had this problem before with a Roland printer/cutter. I had a print spooler messing with things in the background. Took a while to find.

mleg1972

Believe it or not, if your hard drive space is getting low, VersaWorks can cause this issue as well. Don't keep a lot of ripped files in your ques.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nismoasfuh

Sorry for bumping this but it has happened yet again..another power outage. (clearly time to have the Roland connected to a battery backup) the tech came last time and fixed it in like 20 minutes, at the end he said it was a network issue (like most mentioned) but I didn't shadow him to see what he was doing at the computer while he was there. I'm a pretty tech -savvy person and would like to consider myself wise enough to be able to follow some computer instructions. The printer is connected directly to the PC and is recognized..just prints slow, so Im stumped on where to really start. I'm sure there is a procedure with VersaWorks and the printer that should do the trick, and hoping someone knows it.

ChicagoGraphics

Just a thought but can it be possible your bi directional setting got switched to normal printing, where it prints oneway only?

Nismoasfuh

Just a thought but can it be possible your bi directional setting got switched to normal printing, where it prints oneway only?
thanks for the reply, but its printing both ways, just very slowly. I talked to my tech who said to reset the network. So I unplugged everything for 20 minutes to no avail.

Pitzu

Try the following fixes:
- Check in Windows Task Manager so you don't have a background process that keeps your Disk, CPU,Memory, Network at 100% usage.
- Reset network adapter using winsock reset
- If the above didn't work, try to reinstall the network adapter driver (first uninstall the driver, restart computer, reinstall driver). Before doing this make sure you have the network adapter driver (CD or downloaded).

Nismoasfuh

Try the following fixes:
- Check in Windows Task Manager so you don't have a background process that keeps your Disk, CPU,Memory, Network at 100% usage.
- Reset network adapter using winsock reset
- If the above didn't work, try to reinstall the network adapter driver (first uninstall the driver, restart computer, reinstall driver). Before doing this make sure you have the network adapter driver (CD or downloaded).
thanks for the suggestions! Task manager was fine, will definitely try the winsock command.
for future reference the command seems to actually be "netsh winsock reset" (for Windows 10 at least)

Pitzu

The netsh winsock reset command has to be run in Command Prompt using Administrator privileges.
Once it’s complete, you’ll see the message Winsock reset completed successfully.

Pitzu

Search for newer drivers for your network adapter.
Check your network speed
Temporary disable any antivirus you might have
Change the router with another one. You can also try with a network switch.

Nismoasfuh

Any other ideas guys? My tech hasn't answered me all day. Really at a lost of what this is. He was my only hope really because he had fixed this exact issue before. Its clearly something with the data and the network, I just printed a small job of stickers which printed fine, but anything that's a decent size file ends up causing the print head to stop at each end for quite a while. This is ruining me.

Nismoasfuh

well tech came and basically said he just uninstalled/reinstalled versaWorks as well as uninstalled/reinstalled the driver. Bam! back to normal printing speed. I would like to say that the power outage is what caused this and I'm just going to assume the printer and windows 10 shutting off all of a sudden just kinda through it all for a loop. Time to stock up on some battery back ups!