• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540V 'SUM ERROR' message

Kendo

I've just installed a new Main Board in my SP540V.
When the main power cable is connected and turned on, the display panel shows the message 'SUM ERROR'. Nothing else works, including the Menu button. When I hit the sub-power button, the message "VersaCAMM BOOT VERSION 2.00" appears breifly when the button is released.
Where to from here, any suggestions?

SE SignSupply

Make sure your dip-switches are matched to the OEM board.

You are now ready to send over firmware and the parameters from the old board if you have them.

Kendo

Thanks, that makes sense. I've got firmware V7.3 ready to install and I'm running VersaWorks 4.
Excuse my ignorance, I've heard of the dip swithches but I don't know what/where they are, or how to set/match them to the main board...

Kendo

I've located the 8 dip switches on the Main Board. They are set as per the Service Manual as - 1 & 2 - Off, 3 - On, 4 to 8 - Off .......where/how do I match these to the 'printer' ?

Kendo

Thanks SE Sign Supply. I didn't fully understand your original suggestion but I've now
checked them against the board I removed and, yes, they are set the same. I also got hold of a full Tech service manual which shows these same settings.
I can't get past the 'sum error' message to upload the new firmware so
I'm siting here still scratching my head....where to next...

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I don't think you are following the proper sequence. Look at page 4-16 for the keystroke and main power button sequence to install the firmware on a replacement mainboard. Then see if the procedure starting on page 4-17 to upgrade the firmware also works for installing on a blank board. I don't think you actually turn on the sub power button at all during the process, the peck tool will take care of that automatically. I ran into this same issue some years ago, and I think this is the correct procedure. I'll check with one of my tech network buddies and try to confirm.

Kendo

Thanks Jim, that's sure helped. I've just printed off those pages and found that they mention the 'sum error' message etc if the incorrect procedure is followed.
I'm not all that computer literate but I'll try to work through the service manual instructions on tgose pages and see how far I get.
The last time I upgraded the firmware I had the main power on & the sub power off, then just double clicked on the 'upgarde' file which I'd loaded on the desktop of the computer running the printer via an ethernet cable. I'm not familiar with and haven't previously heard of the file 'Peck.exe'.
Regards,
Kendo

Kendo

The service manual says that before attempting to install the firmware to the new main board, hold down the 'left', 'right' & 'up' keys together whilst turning the main power on.
(the sub-power is off)
I've done this but nothing happens, the msg 'sum error' reappears on the LCD screen.
Further, my PC can't 'find' the printer.
Print server net tool gives me an IP address for the printer but when I enter this into VersaWorks/printer/settings and hit 'verify', a msg appears saying it can't find any information about the device detected. (at least it seems to be find a 'device')
If I try to load the firmware to that IP address - it says it can't find the printer.
Can anyone enlighten me....

deanpmoore

hey preppie..
did you ever get any resolution to this issue..

Im in the middle of the exact issue
new mother board....SUM Error....but i dont have Peck.exe..and i am not successful in installing firmwear..

Thanks
Dean