• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spacing/Margins for perf cutting?

IvanDD

Okay, I have a graphtec FC8000 and its controlled with Caldera. My issue with perf cutting is that later on in the cutting process the machine will start to get off course. I assume this is due to the fact that when I'm cutting, the rollers will go over things that were cut, and since the objects are loose (cut out) the vinyl may slip under the wheels and cause a deviation.

Am I supposed to be setting up files perfectly spaced so that the wheels only go over the negative space between the decals being cut? This seems odd if its the case, and will completely prevent me from using Caldera's step and repeat feature.

In short; how the hell am I supposed to cut 200 3x2 inch rectangles on a 54 inch roll of vinyl without wasting a ton of vinyl by spacing everything far apart to account for the rollers?

Thanks!

toomeycustoms

I usually do a .40 or .50 spacing. I also keep the sheet length to 30" or 36". Anymore and I find that the decals on the back of the sheet are not cut accurately. This is with a Roland GX-640 and I use all 4 of the pinch rollers.

IvanDD

I usually do a .40 or .50 spacing. I also keep the sheet length to 30" or 36". Anymore and I find that the decals on the back of the sheet are not cut accurately. This is with a Roland GX-640 and I use all 4 of the pinch rollers.

Yea, if I keep the sheets really small, the decals will usually come out okay. However, I have an order for 10k of these decals. :-(

J Hill Designs

well your first question asked about 200 - so I assume thats your batch quantity -- shouldn't end up being more than ~36" per batch anyway...

Okay, I have a graphtec FC8000 and its controlled with Caldera. My issue with perf cutting is that later on in the cutting process the machine will start to get off course. I assume this is due to the fact that when I'm cutting, the rollers will go over things that were cut, and since the objects are loose (cut out) the vinyl may slip under the wheels and cause a deviation.

Thanks!

The object of the perf cut is to make a perf line so you can punch it out. The stickers should stay in position during the whole cut. If they are falling out you should change your perf.