• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

spam email

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
About 6 or 7 times a day I am getting emails from my customers but they are not orders but rather spam email talking about great deals on software, electronics, etc. Here is a sample

"C amazing site
i bought some laptops from this site
now i had receive it , i like it very much
they also have thousands of new original products on their site
hope you like it too , <e-overshop. com>
enjoy yourself .will save more than 30% !!"

What can be done on their part to get rid of this?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've gotten a couple myself in the last week. In each case the email contained no message at all and was actually not from the sender indicated. Not sure what, if anything, can be done about it though.

SignManiac

I use Barracuda to block most of my spam, but the ones that I really hate and I can't do anything about are the ones using my own email address as the sender. I can't filter that one out or else none of my legitimate emails would get to me.

Tim Aucoin

I used to get a ton of those. I got very, very good at setting up "mail rules" on the Mac, and I'd say I've eliminated the spam by a good 95%. If one sneaks it's way through, I simply alter the rules to tackle it. Not sure how these work on PC, but I'm sure you can set them in a similar way. The trick is to target specific words or phrases in these spam mails, but choose the words carefully, as if your "legit" mail has any of the words or phrases in them, they will be tagged as junk also. For example, in your sample, I would tag the phrase "amazing site", and I'd set certain punctuation rules, as these spammers are not usually very good at using it!

One trick that spammers use to get around this is to use an image rather than text to send the message. This can be tackled using the mail rules also! Good luck with this Eric... be forceful and don't give up on it. We can't let these spammers win the wars!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I get various spam emails from plenty of sources, I just found it odd that suddenly they were now coming from my customers and appeared to be cc'd to everyone in their address book

Must be some new email harvester spam

John Butto

Thunderbird

Use this to take care of all my email accounts and it has a good spam blocker. It is part of the Mozzilla build group.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In the last few weeks or months, I've received these from various friends and customers. There were all sorts of advertisements and I asked Jeremy [shop employee and head computer guru].... and he said it was a virus. The person you THINK is sending these has no idea it's happening until he/she's told.

At that point they merely have to change their password and the problem is solved. Somehow, your password is stolen and these people are sending out advertisements via your address and usually there's no title in the subject window. That's the dead giveaway.

Anyone getting these, don't open them and notify the person from your address book what's going on to change their password.