• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Specifics of JV3-160 SP problems

Adelgander

This is a separate thread as requested for our printer issues. Again, I am using Flexi 8.

First off this all began when we ran out of black ink, and ordered new ink cartridges. Same everything, from the same place, same brand etc. Once we changed them, we started experiencing issues with our reg marks not printing, and realized the black was not printing at all, and the other colors were just compensating as best they could to print its closest version of black. We tried setting or marks to "all" and "cyan", but it just doesn't really show up or detect on the plotter.

The image titled "print test" is the draw I did after pulling ink through with the syringe. As you can see there was a strange smear, and ink only really printed for one portion instead of two.

The other test draws are what I got just now, first before I did anything, then after a maintenance cleaning, and then after ink fill up function.

I have done a few things to try and resolve the issue: (and I'm not sure what a lot of these things are actually called, so I will just describe them)

1. First we tried the syringe to draw ink into the plastic cartridges that intersect the ink lines before they reach the actual heads. I noticed that one of those plastic (I will call them "cards") was less full of ink than the others, so I figured there might be a clog someplace.

2. After the temporary success on one of the black test draw portions, I decided to replace that plastic "card" on the line that did not print. I had a few new clean, empty ones in a box I found here. After this, still no black at all. I ended up replacing both of them on the black head, and still no black on the test draw.

3. I went around to the back of the printer and removed a panel that gave me access to a different part of the ink lines. Here there seem to be some metallic "housings" of some sort that I was able to disconnect the tubes and try drawing ink through there with the syringe. This area is located on the back of the machine above the waste ink receptacle.

4. I then tried every combination of maintenance tests from normal to heavy cleaning, and ink fill-ups to ensure no air was in there. There is an error on the screen all the time saying "replace wiper" but I don't have one laying around. Not sure if that could be the cause of all this.

Things that have happened that might be suspect:

An employee that used to work here but left recently was stationed at the machine to watch the corner of the vinyl we had in it for printing, as it was curling up and try to get caught by the carriage. Of course he wasn't paying attention and it snatched it right up and crumpled up under the carriage. Luckily I was near by and ran over and flipped the switch to stop it from continuing its job. Maybe that damaged the head for black? But why would it print even a temprary portion of the test draw?

I learned all of this from a former employee here, as she had about three years dealing with the crap this machine gives us. She exhausted her knowledge of what to do last week, and none of the parts/ service companies we have on file are available/willing to help over the phone... or they are lazy and do not get back to me.

I hope the information I posted here may be of help for finding a possible solution. Thanks to everyone.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 142
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 86
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 137
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 134
  • photo 5 (1).jpg
    photo 5 (1).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 104
  • print test.jpg
    print test.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 109

J Hill Designs

the last picture looks like the black head is recieving bad data - perhaps cable is miffed, or ink got in the cable insert area

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The first thing I notice is your heads are extremely dirty. You need to clean them up a bit if you want them to seal up with the cap tops properly.

The second thing I noticed is (unless the picture is just tricking my eye) the left black ink line is bent right before the damper "card". That will definitely cause an issue like this.

Overall, I would say you need to clean the heads, replace the capping station and make sure the pumps are not clogged. The reason cleanings are not working is because the caps are not sealing with the head so the pumps can't pull ink through to unclog the nozzles and prime the head. Check out Solventinkjet.com for parts and service. We also offer free phone support for diagnosing issues like this.

Adelgander

J Hill,

upon inspecting my ribbons, I do have a melted pin on it. I also noticed that the ribbons are labelled a certain number "SCN10", "SCN11" etc, with the corresponding port labelled similarly on the mother board for the carriage. Some of the ribbons are in the right spot, but some are not.

One of the ribbons labelled to be in a black port was in a yellow port, so i powered down and switched that over, but now I have a burnt ribbon that the machine won't accept in the yellow slot.... it also won't let me do a test draw with the ribbon removed.

Perhaps this is a possible answer for information corresponding properly from the computer to the machine, but could this be causing the physical ink issues?

MikePro

a defunct ribbon cable would cause lack of firing.
but, dear lord man, CLEAN YOUR PRINTHEADS! clean printheads/capping station ensures good connection between the two, and allows the ink pump to refresh the siphon-effect of the ink.

also, if you have a "melted ribbon cable"... which I can only assume is a result of some sort of short/spark, then you may need a new black printhead, as well as a new cable. unless you're referring to the cable that is on the top of the slider board, that connects to the motherboard via a long chain of ribbon cables internally throughout the machine, then you may need a new slider board? idk.

lotsa testing can be had to diagnose your printer woes. BUT the only way to start, is to de-gunkify your machine. cleaning swabs and cleaning solution, scrub it all. DO NOT SCRUB the bottom of the printheads, only the outer-edge/perimeter of the bottom and all of the sides are fair game.

also, stop pulling ribbon cables in/out and messing with electrical parts. if you let your printer get THAT BAD, then you most likely do not have a proper understanding of how to service the machine yourself and WILL do more damage in the process of fixing a potentially simple issue.

1) clean the printheads & capping station.
2) put in a new wiper blade
3) set an overnight nozzle wash. (set nozzle wash for 99min, power-down the machine, and unplug from wall. reboot per usual in the a.m. and run a test print)

4) post pics of your clean printheads and new test print and we'll go from there.
5) added: if your black STILL isn't printing, run a FillUpInk (can select 12--, instead of 1234, to save from wasting CY inks) and try running a test print again.

artbot

cease and desist. from reading your first entry, you are probably going to do about $3000 in damage before you accomplish what is probably a $30 repair. ...not being rude here. read lots of threads on this site about things like damper swap, data swap, dampers in general. one drip of ink, one broken manifold, etc and you will have $1000 exit your life. what will fix your printer will not be some complex thing that only a tech with a multi-meter can figure out, but it will require a better understanding of how ink gets from the cartridge to the waste tank. read on s101 for about two hours, i can email you a service manual for this machine. then go back to poking around. there are very many experienced jv3 owners with a wealth of knowledge that can help here. but you'll need to be better versed.

Adelgander

Hey everyone,

I took a step back, and checked on everything suggested, cleaned the edges of my heads, etc.

Upon popping the back panel off to access the pumping station, I found my black ink line severed! Chewed up, too. By the looks of it I would say the motor in the pump must have gotten a hold of it in the beginning of all this, and just recently finished the job.

I think this may the source of the issue, lol. I would like some advice on dismantling the pumps safely and running some maintenance on them. They are filthy.

I'm not sure from what I can see in there how to go about opening it up, reconnecting tubes etc., so any help would be appreciated.

artbot

the pumps are pretty easy to rebuild. all they need is a fresh "pump tube" in the middle to be replaced which will act as a new bladder (it's a peristaltic pump). the hard part is keeping track off all the bits and pieces. for some reason aftermarked pumps don't work very well. in the end, i still have the original OEM pumps in my jv3 (rebuilt after failure and purchasing 3rd party ones).

Adelgander

Got the black working. I noticed that the pump that was in there was "loose" compared to others, and I happened to have a spare. I put the newer one in (it has obviously been used before, there is some dried ink in the lines), but it is clicking a little louder than before.

Is there any cause for alarm? No other problems aside from the louder clicking in the pumps when it is filling up ink. Perhaps the arm that raises and lowers during filling wasn't properly locked into the gear before I put it in?

Thanks again for all the advice. The sum of everyone's support has got my printer back up to where I can actually use it again.:Big Laugh

artbot

best way to clean lines is to have a partner continuously pour cleaning solution down the caps while you pull an aggressive vacuum with a syringe form the end of the waste line. you'll need to keep those lines clear of clots or you will be broken down in no time.

abatol

I know what you mean Adelgander I tried to contact the mimaki dealers near me & only one has called back. That is after 5 or 6 days. I am embarking down the same road your on and the best Help I gotten is from this board.

This is a separate thread as requested for our printer issues. Again, I am using Flexi 8.

First off this all began when we ran out of black ink, and ordered new ink cartridges. Same everything, from the same place, same brand etc. Once we changed them, we started experiencing issues with our reg marks not printing, and realized the black was not printing at all, and the other colors were just compensating as best they could to print its closest version of black. We tried setting or marks to "all" and "cyan", but it just doesn't really show up or detect on the plotter.

The image titled "print test" is the draw I did after pulling ink through with the syringe. As you can see there was a strange smear, and ink only really printed for one portion instead of two.

The other test draws are what I got just now, first before I did anything, then after a maintenance cleaning, and then after ink fill up function.

I have done a few things to try and resolve the issue: (and I'm not sure what a lot of these things are actually called, so I will just describe them)

1. First we tried the syringe to draw ink into the plastic cartridges that intersect the ink lines before they reach the actual heads. I noticed that one of those plastic (I will call them "cards") was less full of ink than the others, so I figured there might be a clog someplace.

2. After the temporary success on one of the black test draw portions, I decided to replace that plastic "card" on the line that did not print. I had a few new clean, empty ones in a box I found here. After this, still no black at all. I ended up replacing both of them on the black head, and still no black on the test draw.

3. I went around to the back of the printer and removed a panel that gave me access to a different part of the ink lines. Here there seem to be some metallic "housings" of some sort that I was able to disconnect the tubes and try drawing ink through there with the syringe. This area is located on the back of the machine above the waste ink receptacle.

4. I then tried every combination of maintenance tests from normal to heavy cleaning, and ink fill-ups to ensure no air was in there. There is an error on the screen all the time saying "replace wiper" but I don't have one laying around. Not sure if that could be the cause of all this.

Things that have happened that might be suspect:

An employee that used to work here but left recently was stationed at the machine to watch the corner of the vinyl we had in it for printing, as it was curling up and try to get caught by the carriage. Of course he wasn't paying attention and it snatched it right up and crumpled up under the carriage. Luckily I was near by and ran over and flipped the switch to stop it from continuing its job. Maybe that damaged the head for black? But why would it print even a temprary portion of the test draw?

I learned all of this from a former employee here, as she had about three years dealing with the crap this machine gives us. She exhausted her knowledge of what to do last week, and none of the parts/ service companies we have on file are available/willing to help over the phone... or they are lazy and do not get back to me.

I hope the information I posted here may be of help for finding a possible solution. Thanks to everyone.