• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Specks in solid print on reflective

Signsfyi

I am in the middle of a fleet of police cars and have a printing issue. I print with a Gerber Edge FX. The job has two parts. On is Reflective 280i vinyl with a process printed image. The other is the same 280i vinyl with a spot color of Intense blue. Last week I printed 3 sets that were perfect for install. This week on a brand new roll, I am getting little specks everywhere on the prints. It looks like it would be dust or something? I have cleaned all of my surfaces and the Edge FX printer, including the print head with the special cleaning card. No change. I switch to a calendar white vinyl and get a nice clean print. The only variable seems to be the Reflective 280i vinyl. I have changed my material thickness setting in the firmware, chose "dark" and "darker" in my settings in GspPlot, chose "Overprint". I am at a loss to what I can do to get these specks off of the print.
Any ideas would be appreciated. I am under the gun to keep this job moving forward. Thanks

Signsfyi

Solved

Apparently each batch of reflective can have a different tooth or texture to the surface. This can cause problems in printing. What I did was assign an overprint to each area like I had done before, set the normal and overprint to "Darker" in GspPlot and then went one step further and warmed the vinyl as it ran into the printer to soften it up a bit. The prints came out perfect. Reason for me was that a more pliable surface may allow those surface irregularities to be printed.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Bad roll, we get one every 6 months or so. Sometimes it will run fine on our Edge 1, but the Edge LE always shows the speckles if the roll is bad.
I have never tried heating it up to run it, and the supplier always takes it back for us and replaces it.