• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Speed press?

ONLINE SIGN GUY

Has anyone ever used the SpeedPress? I was sent a catolog< loos interesting but curious if anyone has used one before? Of course all of us hate the masking portion of the job, so anything to make it easier, Im willing to look at.....is it a joke or does it work?

Thanks for any input!

Replicator

I used 3 different sized for about 3 years, before I knew better . . .

They're OK and in fact sometimes convenient, but the fact is it's just easier to learn the proper method of masking and then

that becomes easy, fast and more efficient than any other method of install . . . Besides the fact it will only work on flat surfaces.

It's definitely convenient using the smaller size for doing CORO signs . . . !

They take up space and you've got to stock release mask for them.

BobM

I use three different sizes for vinyl installed in house. They can save a lot of transfer paper especially the more expensive clear for layered jobs. Do a search as I remember several threads on Speed Press and cleaning the release mask.

One time I ran out of clear transfer mask and used a piece of SP Mask. Worked good and I re-used it several times.

Gene@mpls

They can save a lot of transfer paper

I second that- it is a tool and every tool does not work for everything- but
when it does it is slick. It takes many tools to operate efficiently.

signgal

We had a production guy who swore by it and he saved us a bundle on mask with his adoration for the tool. The guy who replaced him, not so much... lol But we like them and if you do a lot of repeat designs/quantities on simple signs, it's great!

TheSnowman

I have about 3 sizes I believe laying in the corner. They came w/ the business. I used them a little before I went digital, but never really knew the proper way to use them. I would only use them for golf outing signs, and I'd just eyeball it, and slap it down.

They probably have their place if you know how to use it correctly, and you are a cut vinyl shop.

k.a.s.

They work well for certain things, mainly cut vinyl on coro. They also work when layering multiple colors of vinyl. It is nice to have around when we need it.

Kevin

Swell Signs

I love the Speed Press for banners and smaller coroplast signs! Plus when the tape gets dirty and not so sticky I clean it with some water and voila! the tape is good again. I think we get well over 50 uses per piece of tape so all in all it is a good purchase.

omgsideburns

I like them, but they aren't for everyone, or everything.

Saves a lot of transfer tape when it comes to laying cut vinyl.

We might change the most often used sizes maybe once every 6 months.

G-Artist

A sign shop down the street from me has two.

A 1" or so layer of dust on them. Found them while rummaging though his stuff
looking for a frame he thought he had.

That seems to be common among owners.

Why? Don't they work?

threeputt

They work good! In fact, we coincidentally just ordered a larger on this morning.

They'll save more than they cost just in transfer paper the first year you have one.

We've owned the two we have for about 10 years. We still use application tape for some jobs (the frames won't work for putting vinyl on vehicles for example) but use far, far less tape than we use to.

Takes only a few minutes to get the hang of them. No shop should be without one, in my opinion.

The one thing you'll have to experiment with is the three different "tapes".
There's low tack, medium and high tack.

Depends on what surfaces you're going to be using them on...and the humidity of your region.

We use the low tack.

Good luck and have fun! They're much faster than anything else.

Mainframe

I found the trick to a speed press is use a felt squeegee instead of the roller they give you, start from the center & work your way out, works like a charm.