• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spent last weekend out of this world

skdave

Had one of the best weekends of my life in Florida with Capt.Gene Cernan Apollo 17 last man to walk on the moon. Almost, every VIP in the world of space exploration was present to celebrate the 40 Anniversary of the last man to walk on the moon.
For you that don't recognize the folks in this photo , the good looking one is me and the VIP is John Glenn. first USA man to orbit the Earth.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...00001418009245&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 131

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sounds like a once in a lifetime event, must have been fun.
We used to have a NASA tracking station here and a standby emergency runway for the shuttle.
All gone now...

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Regardless of what has become of it all, good bad or whatever.... it must've been amazing to meet such a man and the others, too. That is true living history.

skdave

that is really cool. how did you get to go? was it open to the public or by invite?

I was invited as a guest of my dear friend Capt. Gene Cernan Apollo 17, Apollo 10, Gemini 9.

Friday night was guest only. Saturday was open to the public and drew 1800 people for lunch to hear Glenn and Cernan speak. Then there was a 2 hour Q&A with Duke, Collins, Stafford, Scott, Gordon, Lovell, and Gene.

The evening Dinner was open to the public and drew 600 at $150. a head.
I had awesome folks at my table. Neil Armstrong’s family, I sat between his two sons and across from his wife Jan. Also at the table were Mrs. Chafee, Apollo1 and Mrs. Allen Beam.

Off course they did a Video tribute to Neil and there wasn’t a dry eye at the table.
I can never hear enough, of the stories these guys tell, I was one of the best weekends of my life.Friday Night I sat with Joe Engel. He is delightful. x-15 test pilot, and was the first to fly the Shuttle after dropping from a 747 at 50,000 plus.
All these guys truly have the RIGHT STUFF.

Some people have a bucket list of things they want to do before they die.. I have had a space ship full of awesome things in my life and no need to wish for a thing, accept for good health for my family and friends.

Attachments

• 622.jpg
    622.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 94

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's just amazing..... I had to say it again after seeing all those guys lined up there.

skdave

Gino "Amazing" sums it up nicely. Now I'm getting calls from these guys and they want prints of the weekend on canvas.

Craig Sjoquist

Amazing indeed... Thank you for the honor of seeing & bringing back great memories, I've been watching all this from the X15 & was just awe struck at it all, getting to watch shuttles when I moved here was huge bonus.