• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spillage.......................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I did some searching here on the site and come up empty.

We have an SP540V Versa Camm and coming in this morning found it had drained all four cartridges completely dry into the overflow tank and spilled out all over the floor and carpeting. Keep in mind; it wasn’t turned on at the front or the on/off switch either. We turn them off over the weekends, but this thing still pulled all the ink out. Sad part is….three cartridges were new last week on Wednesday and we were closed Friday, so they were almost full. Called a tech and he said it sounded like the pump went, but there are no signs of anything going wrong, other than all the ink was pulled through the system.

:omg: Oh, and don’t ever let anyone ever tell you again that eco-sol-maxx inks are safe. This stuff ate through the cords, through our take-up power supply box and the battery backup was not only melted to the floor, but we could literally push our fingers through the plastic cases. This stuff ate the Ethernet cord, power supply cord and the carpeting.
Anyone have ideas as what went wrong ??

:thankyou: Gino

SIGNTIME

:omg: Oh, and don’t ever let anyone ever tell you again that eco-sol-maxx inks are safe. This stuff ate through the cords, through our take-up power supply box and the battery backup was not only melted to the floor, but we could literally push our fingers through the plastic cases. This stuff ate the Ethernet cord, power supply cord and the carpeting.

wow... I wonder what it is doing to everyones brain cells...:help

sfr table hockey

Most times its the captop filters that swell up and touch the underside of the heads and starts a siphon. Most times it would stay to one side or one head.

A drain line too deep into the drain bottle and if it touches the waste fluid it will siphon out.

Was it real hot in there over that time period? I had a hot week where it seemed the pressure in the carts expanded and forced some ink to siphon but drew back into the color beside and filled the damper and some of the line with the other color.

Also one almost empty cart can cause a draw backward and start the other lines to siphon out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, actually the temperatures were fairly decent this weekend. Probably in the low 80's or high 70's inside.

We have an SP540V Versa Camm and coming in this morning found it had drained all four cartridges completely dry into the overflow tank and spilled out all over the floor and carpeting. Keep in mind; it wasn’t turned on at the front or the on/off switch either. We turn them off over the weekends, but this thing still pulled all the ink out. Sad part is….three cartridges were new last week on Wednesday and we were closed Friday, so they were almost full. Called a tech and he said it sounded like the pump went, but there are no signs of anything going wrong, other than all the ink was pulled through the system.

Captops have been known to swell, and cause contact with the printhead nozzle plate, This can cause a siphoning of the ink into the waste tank, and overflow it. It has been a fairly rare issue with the Roland printers (more common with the old Mutoh Falcon Outdoor).

Solution is to regularly replace your captops (2 on that machine) before problems occur. Roland recommends replacing these every 6-12 months, and they run $25 ea. They take only a few minutes to replace, and do not require a service visit.

Also, Roland does not recommend shutting off the machine, even over weekends. You're right that Roland Eco-Solvent Max is nasty when it contacts certain plastics etc...it is still comprised largely of solvents.

C

ColoPrinthead

The Epson GS6000 inks are pretty nasty too. I received a broken cartridge and the ink dissolved the plastic housing.
picture.php

sfr table hockey

Captops have been known to swell, and cause contact with the printhead nozzle plate, This can cause a siphoning of the ink into the waste tank, and overflow it. It has been a fairly rare issue with the Roland printers (more common with the old Mutoh Falcon Outdoor).

Solution is to regularly replace your captops (2 on that machine) before problems occur. Roland recommends replacing these every 6-12 months, and they run $25 ea. They take only a few minutes to replace, and do not require a service visit.

Also, Roland does not recommend shutting off the machine, even over weekends. You're right that Roland Eco-Solvent Max is nasty when it contacts certain plastics etc...it is still comprised largely of solvents.

You may be able to answer this. To Castek Resources

Both captops would have had to have the same thing happen at the same time in order for both heads to drain the ink on all 4 carts.... correct? Does that happen often for both to do it at the same time? Could one side (captop) effect the other captop. I was thinking they would be both separate and not effect the other. Just trying to think why both would go at the same time.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You may be able to answer this.

Both captops would have had to have the same thing happen at the same time in order for both heads to drain the ink on all 4 carts.... correct? Does that happen often for both to do it at the same time? Could one side (captop) effect the other captop. I was thinking they would be both separate and not effect the other. Just trying to think why both would go at the same time.

Honestly, that was our concern. All four cartridges drained. There is no indication of anything going wrong... we just don't want to put more ink in and have the same thing happen all over. :banghead:

sfr table hockey

I can use cheap refill carts on my old CJ so no chip is required and no need to worry about that part of it. I am thinking of running the refill carts (even if using Roland's inks) and just drain the bags into the refill carts.

This would solve any pressure issue that ever could occur inside the bags as well as stopping the issue where, with an almost empty cart, it draws ink back into it's line due to the negative pressure.

You still have to watch the pads for swelling and touching the heads but with the refill carts having an air hole in the cart, they could never pressure up.

Can you use a refill cart and attach the chip from the carts you use and go that route?

Robert M

Pump

Pump would be my guess, I don't think both caps would fail at the same time, and those caps have metal in them to prevent swelling. maybe the pump was plugged up and then let loose causing suction in the caps.

Eco is not for Ecological as everyone thinks, it is for Economical.

phototec

Hi Gino,

Found a few posts for your reading:

http://www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-70806.html\

http://www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-72674.html

http://www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-58199.html

http://www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-74991.html

http://www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-82783.html

:thumb:

phototec

Gino,

Over the years I have read many posts with similar stories about cartridges draining over night, and I know loosing all that ink and making a big mess is no fun.

I know you have a Roland, but here is a post that describes how Mutoh recommends handling the situation, they put out a Technical Bulletin about this issue.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94441

Please post your solution when you get it figured out.

:smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I ordered a new pump, but forgot to order cartridges. :banghead:

Talked to a new Roland tech today. She also thinks it's the pump. Highly unlikely two heads went at once and with all of the other information, thinks the pump just didn't close 100% and just started everything seeping out, overflowing, but everything should be fine. Gonna have her do a complete tune-up and replace almost everything in there. She's bringing ink with her and Tuesday is the big day for that. She wanted to do it Friday, but I'm taking off Thursday on..... for a long birthday weekend. Shooting, eating and drinking.... in that order.

Luckily, everything the rest of the week is flatbed printing cause I was only booking for 3 days in anticipation of the festivities.

I'll let ya know how she makes out. :rock-n-roll:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wowser lucky that didn't cause a fire eating wires up.
Make me think about moving some wires around.

That should be a lesson to all, now that you mention it. All of the wires come straight down, under a rubber floor cover into the wall. Under the machine was a battery backup and the electric supply for the take up reel. Never would've thought of this stuff getting eating up the way it did, but things were literally cooked in half and the plastic was like clay..... you could poke your finger right through it. Wish I had taken some pictures. :omg:

Yep, new routes will be taken this time around. :thumb:

phototec

That should be a lesson to all, now that you mention it. All of the wires come straight down, under a rubber floor cover into the wall. Under the machine was a battery backup and the electric supply for the take up reel. Never would've thought of this stuff getting eating up the way it did, but things were literally cooked in half and the plastic was like clay..... you could poke your finger right through it. Wish I had taken some pictures. :omg:

Yep, new routes will be taken this time around. :thumb:
So Gino, after replacing the pump on your SP540V did that fix you siphoning issues and did they ever return?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep. That was a long time ago, but I remember her coming out, replacing a pump and cleaning the whole thing and it worked great after that. I still turn it off at both power supplies every night. Everyone says I shouldn't do that, but other than that problem 7 years ago, which had nothing to do with power on or off, only had to replace the carriage cable, I think is what it's called...... about 6 months ago. The printer, knock on wood, is a workhorse and a half. 2004 and going strong !!