• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spool Gun suggestions?

John L

My antique Miller spool gun for aluminum welding has finally bit the dust. Sadly Miller doesnt make the old gun anymore, nor do they make a new gun to fit my old mig power source (that is still actually working fine).

The new miller guns that the local dealer/supply house has are all junk IMO. Cheap plastic housings, very thin nozzles, grip wheels that wont grip.

We have the Millermatic 230 with the two stingers and two bottles.. one for mig/steel, and one spool gun. But thats just one of the cheap plastic spool guns and they just don't work or holdup for daily, hard use.

I know theres only so many electric sign fabricators on here but those that know, will know how fickle this process is without just the right equipment. Does anyone have any real experience with a late model, available setup from any source they can recommend? ... or even steer me away from?

FS-Keith

the spoolmatic series it pretty good I would just get that with some thinner nozzles for getting in channel letters

Mosh

I have a 2 year old spool on my Miller Bobcat 250 and it works great.
Mine is plastic and works great. We have it set up for aluminum only,
and use it quite a bit. My uncle have a welding/fab shop and this is what
he has also on his portable truck.

I have never had a "bird's nest" yet on ours!!!!

rjssigns

Bit the dust how? Not much on the inside. Electric motor and switch. If it's the motor you can have them rewound/rebuilt. My friend Eddy had a Baldor double wound servo unit redone for his CNC. Half the price of new and they guaranteed it.