• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sports bike templates

Alex1991

Hi everyone, Ive just joined and I need some expert advice please.
I currently design and print/fit bespoke Motocross graphics to Motocross bikes. I've been doing this for about a year and I really enjoy it.
When I design a Motocross bike I buy a template online, they are perfect size/shape.
I've been asked to design 2 sports bikes, there are some templates available but not for the bikes I need. Attached is a photo of one of the bikes.
4c3b42edbf8bb57f161aba6f89e1a06f.jpg
How can I make a template for sports bikes so I can apply them the same as the Motocross ones? I have tried laying vinyl over the panels and drawing the shape on the vinyl so I can then lay the vinyl out flat, take a photo and import it to my computer but the vinyl is too tacky when I remove it from the panels the shape is distorted. I've also attached a sports bike template from the internet as an example of what I mean.
5a20-kawasaki-ninja-250-13-14-4.gif.jpg
Any techniques would be really appreciated as I'd like to do more with sports bikes in the future. Thank you

rjssigns

Sport bikes are normally full wraps. I'd start by making a tracing of the lower fairing. Use plotter paper and a crayon to get the basic shape and any large cutouts/recessed areas. Strike a reference line through the middle of the tracing, then strike lines perpendicular to the reference line. Distance between vertical lines? Maybe 10-12cm.

Once that bits done open a new Ai file, strike a horizontal reference line, then place your vertical lines on that being careful to mind the measurements. Connect vertical lines with the pen tool.

Do this for all parts of the bike.

Explaining it sounds more complex than it actually is. I'm working on a large boat template and doing it exactly as described. Template will be about 7 meters long when complete and leave nothing to guesswork.

Alex1991

Would you be able to give me examples of the materials to use for the tracing? As I said the vinyl I use is too sticky

unclebun

We use vellum tracing paper we get on a 24" roll from a stationery (office supply). Cut pieces of it from the roll, use Scotch easy removable double sided tape (the office supply kind, not sign kind) to stick it on the bike and trace with a pencil. You have to use a combination of feel and vision to get the tracing just right. I've also seen people that use a clear plastic like Visqueen and trace with a Sharpie. We then tape our tracing up on the wall and photograph with an SLR camera using a moderate telephoto lens to avoid lens distortion, with the camera mounted on a tripod and making sure we are level and square.